Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
usually it would do that if it's cold on initial start up , but once warmed up a bit ,, the rpms should lower ,, if not , you can adjust that yourself on the side of the carbs

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Yes, this is normal...even a lot of cars do this. My XLT always does this, it will idle right around 4000 rpm for about 3-5 mins until the engine warms up then it drops down loaw around 2000 rpm. My XC 700 doesnt do it as much but it still does a little.

·
Registered
312 Posts
holly cow eric ,, 4000rpm while idling ,, man that's a little high even if it's cold,, maybe it's just me, ehheh
how high in RPM's does your machine cluth at??

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
If the rpm's continue to climb it could indicate an air leak in the carb boot or somewhere. A friend of mine just burned down a piston because of a crack in the rubber that his carb goes into.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It idles fine for 3-5 minutes, then rpm's start to climb after 3-5 minutes.
This normal?

·
Registered
312 Posts
once the RPM rises like you say after 3-5 minutes ,,,,,does it stay at a hight rev or does it finaly go back down?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't know yet. I flip choke for a split sec and it goes back down instantly for another 3 minutes or so.

I just rebuilt it and haven't road it yet. I've been idleing it while bleeding cooling system

·
Registered
312 Posts
well what i'd suggest before taking anything apart ,, tried turning your idle adjustement on the side of your carbs ,,,,,,i know my buddy's 91 indy trail was doing the same thing ,, was reving high about 3300RPM , and just a couple days ago i played around with that adjustement until both pistons sounded pretty much the same ,, and now mahcine rev's at 1800 and hasn't had the problem since

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
my xlt and xcr both idle up to that 4000 mark then come down when warm.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
The engine is to lean when it idles high. If you adjust the idle screws on the sides of the carbs when the engine is warmed up it should take care of the problem. Remember it's the idle mixture screws not the idle speed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts