Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was talking to a guy at the sled shop yesterday and he said that the rmk 800s 99-04 break crankshafts like there going out of style is this true or is he blowing smoke?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
They are known for it. I didn't think there was a '99 RMK 800 though?

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
They are known to have some crank problems,but I wouldnt say it is a huge issue. Many will never have a problem with them.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Mostly it was 800's in general. I know 02 was a big year it seemed for the 800 failure. Of the 3 guys i know that have had 02 800's , 2 had the crank go out.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
its not the cranks but the bearings isnt it, the bearings are to light so when the rebuild them they put HD bearings in

·
Registered
567 Posts
ya the bearings is where it starts to remedy them use send your bottom end in and have the cases machined for a fat boy bearing basicaly two more bearings on each side

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mines a 01 . the guy i got it from put the big boy bearing kit in and said the crand is welded and ballanced . you think ill have problems with it?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
The problem is the bearing, specifically the bearing crush caused by the case bore. The tolerance is very tight, and the factory install was kind of sloppy.

This effected a low percentage of sleds, but anything like that will cause an engine to get a reputation.

The correct solution is to line-bore the case and install a new bearing.

The big boy bearing was the cheap solution to the problem. You should have no issues.

·
Registered
567 Posts
ya what ugly said [thumb]

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
The problem is not the bearings or the crank, it was the loose tolerances Polaris had when machining the cases. Because some of the cases ended up out of "good tolerance" they would cause the bearings and crank to fail. The cheap and easy fix is to get the big boy bearing. The correct fix is to also get the cases line bored and have the crank trued while doing the bearing upgrade.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've heard of the sloppy factory balancing of the P-85 clutches were a contribution to premature failures.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts