Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
man, i get a bunch of pms every week about is this or that worth it, dont get me wrong i like all the pms, no complaints here keep sending them, but let me just say what i say to some half jokingly, I have yet, to get back from trail riding with a trophy waiting for me or an envelope with money from some company thinking i ride nice. but the problem is that we need to beat our buddys. a good clutch kit is the best investment you can make. v force reeds are a poor investment unless you need that last 3 hp to get you across the finish line, for trail they are very expensive hp and do nothing until you reclutch any ways, for the new twins for day to day riding i would go with a chubby single, for tripples, most deffinatly go with tripple pipes, mild port work, not so much raising ports but like chamfering edges and cleaning up the ports, makes a huge difference and is still trail friendly. a sled with some trail porting, minor head work, and a clutch kit, with gearing, could easily keep up to a single pipe and clutch kit on your buddys sled, except you look stock.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
I agree with you,but how do you figure out what componets to put into a clutch to make it go better?? Like a indy 400 for example,they dont sell a clutch kit for that sled so how do ya know what helix to use and stuff?? Is their a book or something to help figure this out because I would like to start working with the clutches more but im not sure what to use..thanx

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah, I am kinda the same way. I don't want to pay some mechanic to clutch my sled, because I like doing that kind of tinkering myself. Where does a guy start? When you put a clutch kit in do you have to change gears? Are there any sites or books that kinda walk you through for guys like me?

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
on most smaller sleds like the indy 400 it wouldnt hurt to gear down a little, luke has notes on that sled for a primary secondary spring kit using stock wieghts and helix, about 40 dollars, for your indy 400 tell me what color is the stock primary and secondary spring is, we will use them as an example to guess at a clutch kit,

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
I think they are both red..

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how they make a kit is they look at what it does stock and just with experience they can make it a little more aggressive on bottom and mid with more top pull but they dont get to close to tight because of variables

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
It kinda makes sence..How did u learn clutching stuff madcow?? Did u figure it out on your own or learn someother way??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts