Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2003 polaris pro x and when I run my snowmobile it smokes a lot. It is a white smoke and ill look and the antifreeze will go down about a quarter of the coolant tank. If anyone could please help that'd be great.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
new gaskets most likly, do you notice any drip's anywher?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
i could be worng so someone jump in hear, but base gasket and head gasket is where i would start,,

·
Registered
140 Posts
head gasket. be careful when you change them, its very easy to pinch o ring style gaskets, and remember to put oil on the o rings before you put it together.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Well this same thing is happening to me right now, went to go get my sled out of storage on friday night and noticed all the antifreez was gone...not on the ground nor in the bottom of the belly pan. Wouldnt start, pulled plugs water all over them. So I took the plugs out and pulled it over a few times and water was shooting out of the spark plug holes. All the anitfreeze was sitting in the crank all summer. So now for the big tear down process. First time for my motor to be opened up. Should just be the gasket for the water pump but knowing the crank has been in antifreeze all summer Im going to do the seals on the crank also. Top end should be fine so should be just gaskets and seal but we will see once I get into it. Was not expecting this at all. So I did end up getting it running and took it around the yard about 8 time to get all that antifreeze out, it was smoking white smoke also so yes that is burning antifreeze like yours.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
May I ask what the head gasket and base gasket is? Sorry I'm new to snowmobiles. But I did change the track so I'm learning alot

·
Registered
140 Posts
head gasket goes between your cylinder heads and cylinders, it is an o ring style gasket, there are an inner and an outer for each cylinder. the base gasket is a standard paper gasket that goes between each cylinder and the crank case

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
its the base gasket guarenteed its very common on the 600 liberty twins. im in the process of replacing one in my sled right now and ive done a few sleds before mine. its the gasket located underneath the cyls theyre 10.00 each from the dealer and theres two of them just take your time and remember to tourque everything properly when re assembling but its really a pretty easy task even for a beginner. also make sure the rings are in the appropriate place via the locator pins to make sure you dont catch one when re installing the cyls

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
^Im going to start on it tomorrow night, hope its either the water pump gasket or base gasket. What did you do about the crank?

·
Registered
20 Posts
i pull the engine and replaces the seals also,they looked ok but its just piece of mind and i had the time to do it.crank looked fine no sign of rust and all the bearings felt good, sprayed the heck out of it with wd 40 and soaked the bearings with oil then reassembled it.if your seals are ok i wouldnt be afraid to do just base gaskets.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Posted this in the Polaris forum a few minutes ago, same kind of issue:

"Check the inside of the head for anything that looks like a hairline crack.. (or a big crack!)

Had a 96 Ultra with a cracked head, spit antifreeze out the exhaust. Saw it after I had changed all o-rings and gaskets and it still did it. Could just barely see the crack."

So, while you have the head off replacing the Orings, check the head so you can rule that out...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts