Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Polaris is stating that their 2007 childrens sled has 8HP right on their web site - yet for every other previous year they have NEVER stated the horsepower of this sled and it was not 8HP. Did they change something? There is no way possible that my son's eariler 120 has 8HP. I was told more like 4HP. Even aftermarket mfrs sell new engines for this sled and state their hi-output engines put out 6.5HP, so how can Polaris have 8HP. That would make the sled go 40MPH as I know aftermarket sledder who have added the 6.5 and changed gears go 30MPH. I changed gears in my sons and it goes 18MHP just by taking the governor off...so if this really has 8HP, I am buying one.

Please help me determine if this 8HP is a mistake by Polaris or correct.

http://www.edgeperformancecentre.com/2007polaris/luxury-sport/2007polaris-120.htm

Is Polaris Lying?

Anyone know the scoop here?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
One way to find out, buy one and dyno it!! I'm sure your son wont mind a brand new 120!

But you really don't need to start two topics about it though, you will probly get less replies starting 2 of the same thread.

·
Registered
214 Posts
i wouldnt be suprised if they arnt 8 or more... alot of peopel are complaining directly to polaris that theres such a void from a 120 to a 340 that they either have to keep there kids on a boring 120 too long or risk it and put them on a bigger sled... so id have to say the 8 hp is a reality based on the fact there tryin to make these sled more usable and keep them fun for kids untill they get old enough and big enough to jump on a fullsize sled...

anyone see in the sno-x mag the guy that cut down liek an m7 bulkhead a and other big sled parts and made a sled for his kid to ride that was inbetween 120 and 380.. had a 50 cc ktm bike motor in it... he calls it a fx50r

www.blackmagicracing.com or direct link

http://www.whiteknuckleperformance.com/blackmagicracing.htm

guy that worked for them built it for hsi kid and there plannin on mass producting them you can get on a buyer list now... its aimed at the pit bike market....

jsut sharin, jordan

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I do not really know anything about the 120s, but it seems really improbable that Polaris actually dyno'd the 120 to get the hp number. It may be just an estimate based on the parts in the engine, but probably a really good estimate.

But who cares? If it is 2 hp or 22 hp, it doesn't really matter, it is just for kids riding around the yard and pulling their brothers, sisters, and friends in a sled behind and having the best time of their lives. I probably put 10,000 miles on a Kitty Cat when I was a kid and I do not remember ever wondering how many hp was under the hood.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Originally posted by jdzaharia
[br]I do not really know anything about the 120s, but it seems really improbable that Polaris actually dyno'd the 120 to get the hp number. It may be just an estimate based on the parts in the engine, but probably a really good estimate.

But who cares? If it is 2 hp or 22 hp, it doesn't really matter, it is just for kids riding around the yard and pulling their brothers, sisters, and friends in a sled behind and having the best time of their lives. I probably put 10,000 miles on a Kitty Cat when I was a kid and I do not remember ever wondering how many hp was under the hood.
actually it does matter these days because the kids 120 sleds have their own class in organized snocross racing.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Originally posted by Customized89Trail
[br]
actually it does matter these days because the kids 120 sleds have their own class in organized snocross racing.
Okay. Well, then I agree with snowsoon. If Polaris says it is 8 hp, then it is 8 hp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is NO WAY it can be 8HP when all the kids know the previous one had about 4HP. Can someone who has a line into Polaris please comment on whether or not they've CHANGED the engine to give it more horsepower...and WHAT DID THEY DO. This is AS IMPORTANT to kids in racing as a 600SDI vs a 1000 is.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The engines don't appear to have changed much, as the displacement and the carbeuration are exactly the same. Remember, there are different measurements of horsepower. How did you and everyone else come up with 4 horsepower? Was it measured at the track or at the crank? Were the governors still attached and at factory specs or not? If you are unable to find out what they have done to them, it is highly unlikely anyone else in you child's race class nor any of us will be able to either. The only way to find out is to go to a snowmobile show and ask a representative (who probably won't know anything beyond the brochure anyway), call polaris and ask, or buy one, dissassemble it, and make measurements. If it is a column that has never been there before, it is somewhat doubtful that they made a mistake (of course it is always possible. . .). Even if you call Polaris and asked, I doubt they would tell you right out what they did.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is unfortunate as Polaris states that they do anything to the bigger sleds, and then they DOUBLE the horsepower on paper with the 120, and say nothing. Maybe they are lying and last year is was 4HP at the track (that 120 motor has been dyno'd by many and shows about 4HP) and now Polaris decides to measure the HP at the engine.

That is false advertising.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Put 2 3.5hp brigs and straton lawn more engines under the hood and you will have 7hp[^]

And sorry about that, I didn't think they were in different forum's because it doesn't say on the home page, which is where I seen it. I thought you just wanted diversity of answers using a different topic name.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I would not doubt that it is a misprint as I believe they are set to travel at 8 MPH when they are stock.

I know at one time that all three companies where using the same engine and Cat is still claiming 3.8 hp

[attachment=48648]

Attachments

·
Registered
625 Posts
Polaris would not lie about HP.A few years back they used to post HP with all there sleds.Someone dynoed one and it was wrong.They sued Polaris and Polaris stopped posting HP with there sleds.Ski-doo came out with a one cylinder sled(freestyle).It is very popular with the kids.Instead of buying a low suspension 4 HP sled for $2000,you could buy a bigger version 30 HP(aprox.) for a little more.I'm guessing since Polaris doesn't have one to compete with the Doo,they added HP.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.