Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
God these past few weeks i was starting to think that there wasn't another season other then winter ,, we had the worst winter here for 35 years ,, so weather canada says. But anyways , these past 3 days , it's only been snowing , and now i've got the itch to go for at least one last run. Not enough snow really for the sleds,, to much snow for the golf courses to be open , and fishing ain't open for another 2 weeks godamit!I'm going nuts! But there's this 13km lake that i take to get to the trails and the first 4 feet is water around the lake , the rest is soso , maybe spots with 8 inches of ice ,,,I almost went yesterday ,, but man , imagine if i run into some engine problems, ehhe i have to go 13 clicks before i get to the trails,,,,,,,but man it's soooooo tempting , i don't know what to do , ehehh i just might have to go tonight ,,, go big or go home right

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Go big or go home is for jumping or dropping cliffs not deep water.
I have water skipped onto ice before to go work on my cabin but once I got there I decided I had better get back off. had about 15-30' of open water to get on and off the ice. Did it with a 440 panther. Water skipping is fun but 14K is a really long way to go. I'd say find another way around.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HAHAHAH ya i usually say go big or go home when i'm playing golf and i'm not sure if i should try carrying the water on my second shot on a par5 over 240 yards of water, heheh But you get the picture, heheh
People in town tell me the lake is solid enough in the middle,, but that first 4 or 5 feet of water around the ice doesn't convince me,,,,,like you said ,water skipping is fun , but 13K is a long run on very thin ice, but i want to go sooo bad ,,,,,arghhhhhhhhhhhhh
hopefully i won't sink my sled and loose my 1000cc engine i placed in her this year

·
Registered
328 Posts
You could always go out a little wqays, turn and come back in and just keep going a little farther each time to make sure the ice is solid. Thats what we do around here.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah i thaugh of that ,, but if there's one thing you DONT want to do on thin ice is turn,(try keeping it straight as possible), i mean a little half moon turn is ok , but anything tight ,, no way man ,cause your speed goes down and if the ice is thin and your going to slow,, your going through ,,,if i get on the ice it's HAMMER DOWN , i'm going the whole 13km straight to the other end,,, cause at 120+mph ,, 13clicks is a flash, ehheeh

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Similiar ice conditions here in Northern MN 8 days ago. Slushy/open water near the edges but still two feet of ice out on the lake. But that was last weekend...

/snofan/../images/users/pigboy/gordon4.jpg

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
So others must want to know about the ice too... I'm suprised someone hasnt tried to get to the middle and drill a hole...

·
Registered
72 Posts
this guy i knew used to take his rmk 700 out in july and run it up and down the river. he could make the turns and things and he said he could pull up to the water on the shore pin it from right there with no run at it and do fine... so i think go for it especially if you got 1000cc's pushin yah. but how longs your track?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Even With 1000 + CC's I'd Still Be Very Nervous About Unknown Ice . The Sled Probably Would Be O.K. For Water Skipping , And With Enough Speed On The Ice It " SHOULD " Be O.K. But If That Front End Ever Breaks Through a Thin Spot , .............. Well Then , I Wouldn't Want To Be Ridin' It Out There In The Middle Of The Lake . -804- .

·
Registered
83 Posts
if you are going over 40 mph, which I assume you would, there is absolutely no way the front end of your sled will break through no matter how thin the ice is.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WEll i got on it last night and man i wont again,, i thaugh i wasn't gona make it ,, near the edges there was more water then in pigboy's picture .. plus in the middle most of the ice was broken up into several big chunks and i was hitting chunks of ice that i thaugh was gona through me 10 feet up ,, jesus christ it was a rough ride ,,,,,,,then i got to the bay were i needed to take a left turn to get off the lake,,,,,,,,,,,well i'll tell you what ,, i don't know how i stayed on cause i had to slow down to take the curve and while doing so ,, my ski (front left) would sometimes go through the ice and my visor would get splashed with water,,,,,,i made it off the lake and was sweating bullets. I didn't want to get back on to go home so i did the entire lake on the side of the road,, on the dirt ,,,,,my runners were burning into my track ,eheheh but it was better then sinking my sled
REally the best thing about that is i can say i was the only one on the lake in April , hahah what a rush

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HAhahah not quite that bad ,, but close enough to get the heart going 200bpm +
By the way snogo_AK,, i my tcat is a 121" track

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HAHAH cats do hate water ,, specially cold water,,
No worries man ,, i put her away last night for good ,until next winter, i thaugh i was gona cry :(
hehe

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Good thing you didn't sink it. That would have been scary, I would have never tried something like that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts