Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a 1993 XLT 600 SP and I checked the oild in the chain case and it was sludge, could it be from just sitting for a year or could water have seaped in there. I'm planning on draining it, cleaning out and adding fresh oil. Will this help or do I have other worries, I've heard these are famous for the crank bearings going out, is this a sign? Thanks

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
if you would like people to resond to a poll, you might want to think about putting answers, that are relevant to the questions

·
Registered
247 Posts
Originally posted by adam411
[br]if you would like people to resond to a poll, you might want to think about putting answers, that are relevant to the questions
that would be nice

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Its probably just water that seaped in there. Clean it out, check gears for missing or damaged teeth and check chain for damage to links. If everything is good then put cover back on with a new gasket and refill. If theres water in there again in a couple weeks there could be larger problems.

And welcome to Snowmobile Fanatics. Its a great site with loads of very knowledgable members. Stick around and youll learn a few things.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
if it is a 93 it shouldn't be a 600 it should be a 580 unless someone did a swap

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
It can't have anything to do with the crank, it is not attached to thr engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the replys, sorry about the poll, I wasn't really quite sure what it was. Thanks[:D]

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I would say that there is just old oil in it. Since it's a '93 you probably don't have a drain plug on the bottom side, but you can always check to be sure. There will be a hole in the plastic bellypan that you will be able to see a plug that will require an allen wrench to remove. If there is no plug, you will have to pull the dipstick, suck out as much of the old oil as possible with a suction gun, then remove the chaincase over. Clean as desired. Re-assemble and refill with the proper oil.

You will find that most of that sludge will most likely be metal shavings. Don't panic, it's normal... unless it's excessive. Good luck.

[hr]
Not to hijack this thread, but I had to comment on this...

Originally posted by Clouse2411
[br]if it is a 93 it shouldn't be a 600 it should be a 580 unless someone did a swap
Clouse, just how does your response here help this guy with his problem? In 1993 the XLT SP was listed as a 600 even though the engine was, in fact, a 580 cc engine. Just like in 1995 the 600 still wasn't truly a 600, but a 597. Even in todays market, the sleds are not exact cc for what they say on the hood. Your response (much like mine to yours) had absolutely no point in this thread. He didn't ask if his sled was a 600 or a 580, he wants to know about his chaincase. If you don't have anything relevant to post... don't.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I think that is what happens when a sled sits all summer.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
A couple random thoughts.... If it's a 580, no problems with crank berrings. They were great motors.

The chain case lube is probably just kind of old.

I have a feeling that this is a poll and not a regular topic because the original poster accidentally clicked New Poll, and not New Topic. Give him a break, he's new here.

Welcome Aboard, Chris.

·
Registered
124 Posts
what happens in your chaincase and what happens with your crank are two separate things. as for the chaincase an oil change and a chain inspection will be all you need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts