Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well ran the machine out of oil its a indy 400 is there any hope in hell that i won't have to to the bottem end. the engine still turns over. i know its one dumn @ss move [:(!][:(!][:(!]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it still turns over, im not sure about what kind of compression it has

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well im sure its done the pistons from the intake look done it would need a bore out but its all ready bored 30 or 40 thousasanse over so im lookin to but some 500 pots on it now if the crank isent cooked too make does this sux ballz

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I would check the compression, if it's good I'd run it and see how it does. I wouldn't take on any long trips on the first run, but being it still turns over there probably isn't extensive damage. It's when they lock up you know your screwed.

*edit* - Probably not the best advice, but personally I would just put oil back in and just run it...see how it goes from there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Usually when you run a 2 stroke engine out of oil the pistons give up long before you will ever hurt the crank. The brgs on the crank are alot tougher than the piston skirts.

The Indy 400 engine is a pretty tough engine. We bore & hone several of the 400 Polaris engines every year that have been run out of oil or burned up and never seem to have much crank trouble.

We sell kits in .010, .020, .040, .060 and .110 over sizes so don't give up on the old 400 yet.

Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
welll im glad to hear that she can still be bored out this engine was lasted a longe time to just to show you hoe good these engines are it has 11 000 miles on not bad eh and only had its first rebuild last year.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
how long did you run it with no oil

Add oil and be sure to full bleed the pump and start it up, see how it runs

If you are worried tear it down and check it out

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i tore it down and took it in the guy said probly a hone job will be good enought if not he got to bore it out to 60th over and the price of the pistons double hope fully a hone job will be enought.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts