Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 93 XCR 440. The thing runs great except that pinning it right from a stand still results in the thing progressivly working up the rpms and then she takes off. Same thing if I come to the bottom of a hill and the rpm's are low, it'll just bog down and won't go. Once the rpm's are up though it runs fine. Does this sound like a clutch problem? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
It's one of two things: Either a clutch problem or your engine is out of tune.
We need a little more info to know for sure.

Describe the bog for us.
What RPM does it occur at?
What RPM does the clutch engage?
Does the engine bog even before your clutches engage?
It could be many things. We need to weed out the possibilities.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe it enagages at about 4500 rpm...if I were to pin it from a stop the engine would gradually build up the rpms over a couple of seconds and then fire up...where as before if I pinned it from a stop the track would be spinning instantly. I've also notice the hesitation in power when I am slowing down from high speed and then get right back on the throttle, it takes a couple seconds before the power builds up again. I've had the carbs sync'd up so I don't think that is the problem, the belt is new as well.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If it bogs before the engagement RPM - it is definately in the engine. Sounds like a possible carb problem. Any other symptoms? Fouling plugs or anything?

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Mine did that last season. Pretty much gutless until 5500rpm or so, where it starts hauling good ass.

I think it's just part of the fact that it's an old piston port motor...Not much low RPM torque.

As for jetting, I think i've got 280's in mine (stock). I should be closer to 260 for the conditions I ride in, so i'll rejet to that when it's warmer out, that ought to improve it a bunch also.

-Dean

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I guess I should clarify a little more...the engine only seems to bog down once the engine has engaged...and it really only does it up hills if I don't have the revs up. Pinning it right from a stop will engage right away but it just doesn't take off like it should. Once it's going it climbs to 80+ mph no problem.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Mine did the same thing, and it was the carbs, try pulling a slay, it it has a hard time taking off it is most likely the clutch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts