Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get a new sled....and one i can buy right now....leaving a skidoo mxz 380cc one in my price range...seeing as i'm 16. I just dont know if it will be as quick and fast as i would like it to be...what is the horsepower and 0-60 mph and top speed of a sled like this. I will probably have to buy a used sled like a 600 or 800, but i just dont want to have to work on it all the time. I like performance, and just want some"held in the seat" performance.

13.1 at 107 in my z28
what kind of a sled could do that???

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Your 16 yrs. old, and have a Z28!? lucky guy.

It seems as though you're saying that unless you buy a brand new machine, that you will have to fix it alot. But it's not true at all. If you know you want a fast sled than just buy a nice used MXZ, like a 500 or 600 or something. 800 is too big and unnecessary for a 16 yr. old, unless you've got experience. But that's just my opinion.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
just keep your eyes open and dont jump on the first thing you see, take the time to check it out completely. the sled i have now is a 93 polaris xlt sp 580, and i found it here: http://www.sledcity.com
check this site out, lots of used sled there, and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
The most important thing to look for is suspension...at 16 you'll want to pound the crap out of it, probably. 440 to 500cc is PLENTY of power for you, they'd max out between 80 and 90mph!

What type of riding will you be doing?? That'll determine what sled you'd want

-case reed induction will create more power
-power valve also create more power, but require maintence
-there is no such thing as too much suspension

Win if you can...
Loose if you must...
But NEVER stop trying!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plan on spending $3000 and do a lot of open lake riding, then on the way home ditch riding....fun hitting jumps. I don't just like the idea of being able to hit max speed. What sled do you guys recommend. A sled that has good top end( triple digits) and good handling, for my ditch riding, is what I’m looking for!!!!
Is this possible???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya, I know because I'm 16 you think I'll go out get a 800cc sled and tear all over the place, run over a old lady, hit a few trees and end up walking home. But that's not the case, I'd be dead already in the camaro. I just want to enjoy winter racking up miles!!!!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well i would say to look for a good used sled in the 500-600cc range. If you are looking for top speed go with a triple. if you want a light weight sled to pogo around on the bumps go for a twin. The twins will have the torque off the line and the triples will pull more on top end.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
92 Posts
whats all this crap about a 16 year old bein on a 440?im 14 and ride a 600 with about 120 hp.

by the way nice to meet u guys

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by mrnoah:
whats all this crap about a 16 year old bein on a 440?im 14 and ride a 600 with about 120 hp.

by the way nice to meet u guys

[/quote]

Lighten up a bit. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I know some guys who prefer 440's. Until this year I rode a XCR 440, and I'm 19. Age doesn't have much to do with it, riding experience does.

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I'm 21, and i'm happy on my XCR 440.
The best part is, most of my friends can't keep up with me on any trail, but like P-man said it's because of experience.

·
Registered
614 Posts
When I was 35,I had mxz 470 and I did a lot of waiting at the end of the tight trails for buddies with big tripples. Long enough to have a smoke. Ditch banging was great, top speed on the lake was 80mph, loved that sled. They had a smoke at the end of the big lakes. Now I have a 600 triple, ditch banging is not as fun, heavier on the trail so it is harder to handle, on the lake its fast, but no 800, I don't have time to smoke any more, maybe I should quit, lol. I think what I'm trying to say is YOU have to decide what riding you like the best and buy a sled to suit. After riding both light, and heavy, I'll be going back to a light sled, but thats just me.

"tie wrap it wide open"

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
right now i have a 340 and a 600 triple. i prefer to ride the 340 even with the lack of suspension. its light nimble and can walk all over some 440's out there. now if i want to do lake runs out comes the 600 wheelies and hauling @ss well over 100mph is fun but if i need to throw the sled into a cornor on the trails it isnt gonna happen on that 600. im 24 years old and have been riding since i was 8.im actually the only one in my family that rides and was always told that i was crazy bymy dad. you pick your style of riding you pick your sled only you know what you want.
Ihave a question tho
you want 100 mph + bitch bangin sled??
yeah the lakes are fine for that speed but if you do alot of ditch banging get yourself a 440 liquid that would be plenty for the ditch

i cant take a day without my polaris Let alone a lifetime.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I seriously don't get it. I've been riding longer than some of your ages. I've always had the biggest, fastest, possibly heaviest sleds I could afford and I have never had anybody get through any ditches or lakes for that matter any much faster than me. It must have something to do with the areas that we ride because where I ride, bigger is, and always was, better??????

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
My 500 will roost circles around a triple in the ditches! I can carve and weave up, down, left, right with just a flick of the throttle and a little body lean. We've got a 96 XCR 600 (with a 680 engine) and it is a beast in the deep snow and tight trails, you just can't throw it around quickly enough. But that same XCR will pass me on the lake, while I'm going 80, like I'm standing still. It's all personal preference.

Some of the 440's are really tweaked and create lots of power, like the sno pros and pro-x's.

Win if you can...
Loose if you must...
But NEVER stop trying!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
If you look at the hp on the new 440 racers then the horsepower on the new 500's it is VERY close. Ex. Last year's 2002 Pro X 440 Liq 100, 2002 Sno Pro 440 99hp and the 2003 F5 is 104.

I remeber hearing these numbers last year but I may have the polaris and AC racer's #'s mixed up.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
oh sorry guys.i was mosly just jokein around but i just perfer the larger sleds. first post and i already said somethin stupid.

Dont throw up in ur helmet.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I understand what these guys are saying. I am 17 and I know I could handle an 800 or heck a 900. I have been riding since I was like 8 so I have had plenty of experience. Of course there is much more experience to be had as well. But if your someone who doesn't have that you need something a little less potent or be able to back off the throttle and lets face it who can really do that?

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Don't worry about it mrnoah everyone has a get out of jail free card and well sorry to say you used yours. Just kidding.
Everyone makes mistakes just try to add just kidding or something if you are joking around that way you won't offend anyone. Oh yeah and welcome to the forum.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts