Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to get my cltuch removed from my 79 ski-doo everst today... Around the clutch there is a litlle gaurd and part of it is broken off the guy at the shop said that with that piece broken off the clutch would be off balance and it would fall apart or break part in about 5 minutes. this sounds like BS to me..... that gaurd pice that fell off prolly wieghted next to nothing.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Well, if it is an orange-colored bowl-shaped cover, then it is an essential part of the old Ski-doo clutch. If it was broken or cracked it can cause some major damage if it breaks apart at 8000 rpm. That clutch has several pair of weights with a huge roller on the end of the weight that pushes on the cover to engage the clutch. Without the cover, your sled is a sittin' duck.

They are weak clutches. My friend has one on his '79 MX Blizzard and the whole clutch cracked on him. We replaced it with another used one. If i were you, i'd see if you can find another cover, or similar clutch; otherwise consider buying a Comet clutch. The Comet would also be alot more efficient and tune-able. IMO.
Good luck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No its not the orange bowl shaped piece its a gaurd the goes around the base of the bowl piece. Its sivler in color.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That part is called the clutch roller gaurd, last known pn# is 504-242100, though it may be an obsolete part now, check with your local dealer, they used those clutches into the early 90's on the safari scout series and possibly others. The earlier reply was right, Never run any clutch that has any damage to it. They can and sometimes do hand-grenade and cause personal injury. If an unbalanced clutch blows at high RPM, it WILL come through the belt guard and hood like they wernt even there. I've seen it, I've been a Ski-Doo tech since 1989

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much does a part like that cost..... I'm not really a snowmobiler more into dirtbikes and i picked this sled up for 50$ last year to beat around on..... though it didnt snow. I dont really want to dump money alot into this thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts