Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-arctic-cat-zrt-600_W0QQitemZ280474417840QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSnowmobiles?hash=item414d93fab0

Why the need for the 4-5 pattern?

There's still empty room. Why not 7-7-7?

[Comp2]

·
Registered
384 Posts
Bet that sled grips like hell lol some people dont like that many studs, not to mention they add weight. i assume the sled did mostly lake riding/racing. But that's just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
Over-studded? Not necessarily.

Studboy's recommendation for aggressive riding is 192 studs for that machine, which is a 4-4 pattern. The next step would be 240 studs (an option for the ZRT 800), which is a 5-5 pattern. Looks like he simply crossed the two and used 216 in a 4-5 pattern.

But...that's just my take on it.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Over studded is studs covering 99% of the track with 5 studs between each paddle and 1 on each outside spot. That's over studded. It was an 800 rev, there were no pull out surprisingly I bet he had 240+ studs.

·
Registered
538 Posts
the only thing i dont like about that many studs is the weight. not only does it make the sled heavy as hell, but imagine the centrifugal force on the track at 120mph. 200+ studs is just asking for the track to explode underneath you while you're screaming across a lake at 120mph. unless it is a drag racing track designed to handle those kinds of forces. just my $.02

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
anyone else notice on the picture looking at the track from the snowflap that there is a good sized gap/rip in the track just behind the outer stud on the left? wonder how long that will hold together at 90+ MPH....

·
Registered
192 Posts
MX86 said:
anyone else notice on the picture looking at the track from the snowflap that there is a good sized gap/rip in the track just behind the outer stud on the left? wonder how long that will hold together at 90+ MPH....
i dont see the rip, i think you may be talking about where there is a glare from the sun?
anyway, if you think that ones overstudded check this one out i just seen on craigslist.. http://syracuse.craigslist.org/rvs/1631981529.html

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
MX86 said:
I see it, it goes to the clip window. That track needs to be replaced along with most or all of the studs and backers.

·
Registered
863 Posts
kingofkings said:
MX86 said:
I see it, it goes to the clip window. That track needs to be replaced along with most or all of the studs and backers.
im pretty sure that its just a bit of snow causing it to make it look like the backround. but it may be a rip, not %100 sure

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
tshack420 said:
MX86 said:
i dont see the rip, i think you may be talking about where there is a glare from the sun?
anyway, if you think that ones overstudded check this one out i just seen on craigslist.. http://syracuse.craigslist.org/rvs/1631981529.html
haha, thats exactly like the sled is saw. definitely fully studded...............

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Yeah track should be replaced. Lol my track had no tears or wear and it blew apart at about 85. We looked it over and we think it was a missing track clip. Beat up my coolers pretty bad but they're still good. And my snow flap is all jacked up. If I had studs I can't imagine the damage that would have happened. At least if gave away right at the end of the season Haha

·
Super Moderator
15,519 Posts
MX86 said:
About as good as my ZRT 600 did with an very similar setup! BOOM!!!!!!

I'll never have studs again. Never been a gambler

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
How big of carbides do you need with that many studs?

·
Registered
63 Posts
FULLY STUDDED..LOL Tha leaves no room for questions....thats a lot of studs

·
Registered
92 Posts
That is a rip in the track. And that is way to many studs. Unless he is pulling a trailer across ice then there is no need for that many studs...

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
MakingTheWinterGoByFaster said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-arctic-cat-zrt-600_W0QQitemZ280474417840QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSnowmobiles?hash=item414d93fab0

Why the need for the 4-5 pattern?

There's still empty room. Why not 7-7-7?

[Comp2]
not over studded. Just right if you are running agressive icey trails with 10" of carbide.
I only see the sunlight, not a rip or tear.

ACG said:
How big of carbides do you need with that many studs?
10"

arcticcatmatt said:
MX86 said:

[Disappointed][:(][beatup]

I've got some kleenex for your tears matt. Back to crying about studs, i see.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
The main thing I don't like about that pattern is only one stud every fourth pitch on the outside belt. If you're going to put studs out there, you should have them at least every other pitch.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
That's pretty much what a 72 pattern is. Every 4 on the outside, looks like he just off set the outside a few??

·
Super Moderator
15,519 Posts
xcr440 said:
arcticcatmatt said:
[Disappointed][:(][beatup]
I've got some kleenex for your tears matt. Back to crying about studs, i see.
Hey.. when you go thru 3 tracks in 6 years and a few heat exchangers from blown out studs/track detonation, you tell me how much of a fan of them you are.

I understand their benefits but I am done paying for their minuses.

I would not exactly call my reply "crying". I would call it an educated informed opinion. Got a few guys in my group with the same opinion. Everyone has quit running studs because they have burned them at one point in time.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
You guys must have done something wrong or are very agressive and spin the track when ever you can to lose that many tracks. Or you were way under studded? Rocky terrain?

I ran my pro with 2 tear outs for 2 years. no issue till the track started to delaminate.

My 440 has over 7000 miles. Not sure on miles as it was raced for 2 years in a norhtern wi cross coutry series. @ tear out on inside. I cut the tear outs and caudarized the cuts. No issues. I would love to see pics of the damaged tracks.

Ask my brither octane about riding without studs on icey hardpak trails. He even had a ripsaw.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts