Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,so i am making a lot of progress on my Polaris 400 Storm project and i am down to the jackshaft.Im not sure if i installed it correctly.The jackshaft is from the 88' Indy 400 and the chassis is a 95' Storm.Here are some pics of the piece in question.I am not sure if the bearing is where its suppose to be.It seems to not be in the fitting far enough.Let me know what you think. Trav

[attachment=49551]

[attachment=49552]

[attachment=49553]

Attachments

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Looks good.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey,i post this on hardcoresledder.com and they seem to think that its installed wrong.Im not trying to side with anyone,i just want to know if its on right or not.Heres a link to what i was told on hardcore.Does anyone really know if its on right? Trav

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=188678

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Doesn't look like it's on right, but it's hard to tell with the pictures you gave us.

The bearings doesn't appear to be fully seated in the bearing "holder".

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats what i thought.Ill try and figure out what i need to do to get it back in the holder right,later tonight. Trav

·
Registered
685 Posts
I agree^^^^^^^^

Adjust your collars, tis all u need to do[:I]

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What do you mean by collars?Heres some pics with the brackets(could be collars?)

[attachment=49622]

[attachment=49623]

[attachment=49624]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I think its on wrong. To me it looks like you need to remove the bearing from the jackshaft. Then install the jackshaft into the body of the sled. After the jackshaft is in place, then slide the bearing on from the outside. After you get it on, put the gold colored bracket on behind it and tighten it down. The gold bracket helps hold the bearing in place. After you do this, then make sure you tighten down the allen screw in the locking collar.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I think it's also on wrong. The bearing holder is doing very little the way you have it on.
Remove the bearing.
Slide the first bearing holder on, then put the bearing on, seating it firmly in the first bearing holder, then put the outside bearing holder on and tighten. You need to flip around the inside gold bearing holding to make a 'cup' for the bearing. Parts 9-12 on Partsland.
I hope you have your rear suspension out because that will make it a ton eaier to tighter the lower bolt.

I read the HCS post after I typed and those guys over there are right.
Dman

·
Registered
764 Posts
ya that isnt right, the bearing has to be between the bearing plates, those triangle plates. You have to put one on first then put the bearing on, then the other bearing plate goes on and they clamp the bearing inbetween each other. dont put the collar on (round piece with set screw in it) on until u have the jackshaft in the correct place and the clutch is alligned otherwise u will probly be loosening it and moving the shaft anyways. hopefully that helps you

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How do i remove the bearing? Trav

·
Registered
764 Posts
either get a bearing puller, or take the shaft right out and use a press or torch it off if none of that works

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is a bearing puller,and where could i get one? Im hoping this doesnt turn into a big job. Trav

·
Registered
764 Posts
bearing puller u can get at most tool stores. It has a big bolt in the center, then has 3 jaws. Just gotta make sure there is enough reach with it. If there isnt u gotta press it off[attachment=49679]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Not sure the puller will work in that application.
It's a pain to replace IMHO. Are the bearing holders doing anything? They might be installed wrong which will actually help. Can you get both the bearing holders off the end of the jackshaft? If so, you might be able to hammer the bearing off from the backside. If that doesn't work, use a cutting disc on an air tool.
That's a start. If you can't get to it, then it's a job.
Give an update when you check it out.
D

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There is no bearing holder on the side closest to the clutch.Should i take it off and try hammering it off the shaft?When i put the bearing back on,do i just need to make sure that the bearing fits in the collars right and thats it? Trav

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
there has to be a bearing holder on the backside...the little triangle peice there should be two of them. When it goes on the other side of the bearing and you put the front one they should bolt together and hold the bearing centerd and inplace. when you get yourself another holder fo the backside you have to get the bearing off there to get the holder on, and then you slide the bearing back on.

After you slide the bearing on leave it loose and bolt it together...doing so should pull the bearing to the exact point it should be at. after you have done that tightend the little set screw back down and tighten it up....if your taking the bearing off you might as well go buy a new one.

Dont go to the dealer to buy it it twice the price....go to your local bearing place and bring you old bearing with you. They should beable to match one up...i bought mine and it was only 12 bucks...its alot better to do that now then having to do it when that one goes on you.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts