Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have taken the stator plate off of my 79 ski-doo everest 340. I took it off because i am not getting spark on the left cylinder I've tested the coil and check everthing above the coils. with the palte off i noticed on of the low voltage leads comin into the point is touching metal on one side and plastic on the other. The other low voltage lead to the other point is in inbewtween a black wire and a washer. So would the low vaoltage lead touching plastic cause me not to get spark. Both points are fine. We tested them with an ohm meter and the both read.4-.6. Is there a test i can do with condensors?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would say condensors are cheap, just replace it to test it.

Are you sure the points are opening and closing? Make sure they are free by rotating the crank and visually inspecting that.

Otherwise here is test that may not apply but can offer some insight: (got this from another message board)

1) remove the condensor from the circuit (i.e. disconnect wire from magneto

2) connect the condensor in series with a 12-volt battery and a small light bulb (do this in the dark)

3) if the light flashes the condensor is working (but may still be weak

4) if the light does not flash then it is open

5) if the light stays on steady then it is shorted

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we figured out that the condensor was shorted. It had been damaged we it was put in. So hopefully my local dealer will have one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts