Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this normal On my 500 polaris indy SP i took off the air box and put my hand near the back of the carb and rev it up a mist of gas will go onto my hand this don't seem normal. Why does it do that. How can i stop it. Mabee thats why it seemed to be very hard on gas.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would say you need to take the carb/carbs apart and inspect for loose or worn parts. First make sure the choke cable isn't stuck open.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Just did this on my wife's sled. 98 Indy 500. I had cleaned the carbs well, picked this sled up used last season and just rode it. Always felt it was sluggish, and uses to eat plugs. Turns out it was the carb chock depth setting. Had a heavy mist out of the pto side, on burping the gas. Unscrewed the choke plugs and backed them down, one was almost a 1/4 inch up higher. Once I knew they were bottomed out, I was looking for 1/8 inch slack at the choke lever before they engage (up). Voila! The little sled is snappy again,a dn has a nice crisp exhaut note to it,instead of blubbering.
Best of luck

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Most all carbs will have some amount of "spit back" into the air box. You don't want anything excessive, but minor amounts are ok. I'm not sure how much your talking about wheelman.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the choke cable off and i put the plunger back in put a spacer in after the plunger the screwed a bolt into it tight so they are deffenly closed off. I went for a good drive the sled was working great lots of power when i got back there was gas on the bottom or the air box little pools and it looked all wet all over inside.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
like Tfin70, a little bit is ok, should be a light mist kindof. But it shouldn't be filling your airbox with gas.

-Dean

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know it shouldn't be filling my airbox with gas. Does anyone have any idea what clould be wrong?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts