Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wandering if anyone runs a bit of Isoheet in the fuel to keep the moisture out...especially when getting gas at all these different places while riding. I see they make a few types and this seems like the one to use if you are going to. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
It works, I've used it for keeping water out of the fuel system and always keep a bottle with me. Really helps out when the carbs get frozen too, remove the airbox and splash some isoheat down the throat. ONLY use ISOHEAT (with isoproply alcohol) in 2 storkes, I've heard using HEET may cause damage to these engines.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The regular HEET is methanol, and is not good for the rubber and rubberized gaskets. The way these chemicals work is relatively simple: they can bind to the water, and also can mix with the gasoline.
Gasoline is a hydrocarbon (carbon atoms bonded together, surrounded with hydrogen atoms bonded to the carbon atoms). Because of electrostatic interactions, water H-O-H cannot mix with gasoline. But the methanol H3C-OH and isopropyl alcohol H3C-CHCH3-CH2OH have enough H's to deter the strong negative charge on the oxygen and can mix. Because of the alcohol group -OH, they can hydrogen bond to the water and carry the water into solution.
Hopefully that is clear?

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Originally posted by TheKuskokid
[br]The regular HEET is methanol, and is not good for the rubber and rubberized gaskets. The way these chemicals work is relatively simple: they can bind to the water, and also can mix with the gasoline.
Gasoline is a hydrocarbon (carbon atoms bonded together, surrounded with hydrogen atoms bonded to the carbon atoms). Because of electrostatic interactions, water H-O-H cannot mix with gasoline. But the methanol H3C-OH and isopropyl alcohol H3C-CHCH3-CH2OH have enough H's to deter the strong negative charge on the oxygen and can mix. Because of the alcohol group -OH, they can hydrogen bond to the water and carry the water into solution.
Hopefully that is clear?

Oh^^^ Exactly what i was thinkin!! Jk. Im impressed

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I use the RED bottles only...Put in half a bottle every morning....My bottles are for 20 gallons...

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I use it too. Its cheap insurance against siezing an engine due to water in the fuel.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yah I use it so my carbs dont freeze up

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice reply Kusko...couple too many H's for me but I got the point. I was pretty sure people used it and I just wanted to check. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts