Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my ultra on friday and I rode it all day saturday and on sunday It acted like it was fouling a plug but I thought I could ride it out. When I got back home it finally quit running so I got new plugs. When I wnt to change them I found that Number 3 plug had antifreeze on it. That cylinder has great compression so what happened? The piston is white but it doesn't have a hole in it. Did the o-ring go out or was it the base gasket?[xx(]

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
sounds like a head gasket, its an easy change and not very much $$

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Change the o-ring I bet that fixes your issue.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why woud it still have great compression if the o-ring is going out? Someone told me it might be the base gasket but I really don't want to tear the motor down that far just to find out it wasn't it.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I believe he's talking about the o-ring that seperates the head from the pink water jacket (I'm not sure of the name of it). The "dome" bolts to the top of the cylinder with the top part sticking up, and an o-ring goes into a groove. Then you bolt that square pink water jacket thing, which has a hole for the top of the dome to go through, on top of the cylinder and the o-ring seals the two apart.
http://www.partsland.com/index.cgi?N=1165336760-125801&P=SM-1997-ULTRA-SP-CYLINDER

#9 (o-ring) seals # 5 (water jacket) from # 11 (dome)

Bryan

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I almost guarantee it is your water pump. Remove the small bolts in the bottom front of the block. You'll need a 10mm socket. There are three of them. If any water comes out, you need to remove the water pump and rebuilt it, the seal is going out. Do it quickly.

Water pump rebuild will cost you about $80 for parts, two hours and a gallon of antifreeze.

I have had to do this twice, same symptoms. You'll see antifreeze in the cylinder cause of the pressure fluctuations in the crankcase. As antifreeze is sucked past the seal, it get caught up in the fuel charge and into the cylinder it goes. Don't run the sled anymore until you check the waterpump out, you may have scored the piston.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I pulled the bolts and fluid came out but it wasn't antifreeze. It was gas! Why would gas com out of there? Bad Fuel pump? I still think it is the o-ring because the pto cylinder is the only cylinder with antfreeze.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
We decided by your "what is all this oil all over my block" thread that you're running rich. Running extremely rich will cause fuel to build up in the bottom of the block. Go through the carbs, check jets, check chokes, float level, etc.

Bryan

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I' going to go thru them tomorrow. I noticed that it was running rich. I'm still pissed about the pipes!!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I paid $1500 and rode it for a day without problems! I'm taking the worst pipe to work today and I'll fix it there(Better welders and grinders). I'll finish the other 2 tonight after work. I hope to have it running tomorrow night. I've decided to replace all 3 o-rings to make sure it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
What O ring are you guys talking about? The one between the head and the jug?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
ok, let's start from scratch on this.

There are a few ways for coolant to get into the combustion chamber.

First - a cracked sleeve. Highly unlikely.

Second - A warped dome / leaking head o-ring

Third - base gasket leaking

Fourth - Leaking water pump - but you ruled that out

Well I guess if you have a complete gasket set or a top end, just do it all and be done with it. Do it right, do it once.

Bryan

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's the plan. But I really wanted to ride before it started melting again.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If the base gasket want out then wouldn't there still be coolant inthe crankcase?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yes, it could, but it could only leak when the motor is warmed up thoroughly, or due to the pressure fluctuations while the motor is running. Kinda frustrating isn't it?

Just thought of something: have you smelled the antifreeze reservoir? If you are leaking via a head o-ring, you should also be pumping exhaust gasses into the water jacket. Smell the reservoir and see if you smell exhaust, or gas.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I fixed the o-ring yesterday and rode it before work and it ran great other than the mag plug wire trying to arc to the water manifold. Then I tried to ride it this morning at 12am. and it didn't want to start for the life of it. I think it is flooding its self and we know it is running very rich. I haven't tore into the carbs yet but Im pretty sure it is jetted right for the pipes. Its pissing me off because the snow is going to disappear saturday!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Even if it's jetted right for the pipes, there may be other issues with the carbs causing it to run rich.

-Needle missing
-Slide stuck
-Choke stuck/missing/not adjusted right
-Needle and seat leaking
-Main not tight enough
-Many others

And like what was mentioned before - check your fuel pump. Although that tends to richen one cylinder heavily.

Bryan

1 - 20 of 31 Posts