Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Guys and Gals , Help to unstump me......Motor starts fine and will idle all day , But when I go to gas her up it hesitates slightly then takes off to about 4500 / 5000 rpms and dies, compression is a little low on the right bank/carbs are good/ pto seal is good, could this be a crank seal or is it something electrical i have overlooked I have changed out all the electrics except for the stator. Oh yeah it is on a 1989 polaris 500 twin/ no electric start.......Thanks , Mark

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
It could be it's starving for fuel, sounds like it's got enough for idle and when you start out, but not enough after that hitting 4500 rpms.

Check fuel lines, or better yet just replace them all if they haven't been touched since 1989, including the pickup in the tank. Might be a good idea to get a fuel pump repair kit also - they're cheap and easy to install. Another thing to check is the pulse line from the fuel pump to the crank, if you're replacing the fuel lines might as well replace this as well. For the hesitation, clean or replace the jets in the carbs.

Heck, for that old a sled, might be good to go through the whole sled and replace worn parts, grease all zerks and secondary shaft, check clutches for worn parts and replace them, suspension springs and shocks may need replacement (both skid and skiis). I'm sure there are other things to check.. but you have until next season to get everything taken care of.. Oh, and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have replaced all the lines but will try the fuelpump rebuild before moving on to total rebuild of engine. I am building this sled for my daughter and have rebuilt and replaced and repainted EVERYTHING on this 'OL' girl (except for the engine and the fuel pump), I've definitly got more into it now than it will ever be worth , but it sure does look cool sitting still!!!! Thanks for your suggestions Scumpman , any help is always welcome............Mark

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
What is your compression psi? I would look at the fuel pump first as mentioned and go from there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts