Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, at 5:30 p.m. Alaska Time my motor roared to life on the 30th pull or so. Lots of smoke[:0] from the engine assembly lube, 40:1 mix and of course the oil pump yours truly rebuilt.

There was so much smoke in fact, I set the fire alarm off at the university. [LOL]
Fire department shows up, cops roll up, and of course the maintenance supervisor. I apologized to all and swore I wouldn't do it again.

Only problem is it is missing on a cylinder. I was just about ready to fire it up and hold the exhaust pipes to see which got hot, and which was cold (to tell me which cylinder was missing), when the damn alarm went off.
So tomorrow I will get it back on the trailer, get it out of the building and fire it up.
The timing was spot on too, made me smile.
[Bevis]

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Haha good job with the fire department comming. I'm suprised they didn't write you a ticket.[:D][:0]

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
nice! little after 6 pm tonight i fired up my 700, man it sounds nice :D

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
ya lets see some pics

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE!!

Reason for not firing on all cylinders: flooding

Talked real nice to the Pol service manager here, and asked him if he would do the timing on the sled since I wanted desperately to start it, but did not want to drive it to the dealership, until timed. I have never done a running timing on 2-stroke. He said sure, and dropped by the university's shop. Long and short of it, we ran it, but he said it wasn't running right, which was true (though timed about right), so he told me to get it on the trailer and bring it to the shop; he'd look at it today. This I did. We pulled the pipes, and carbs, he did the dial indicator just to be sure of things while I pulled the 10mm drain plugs in the engine case to get the extra fuel out. Put it together and it flooded instantly. Removed everything again and pulled the carbs, drained fuel and while I held the carbs, he pulled the float chambers off. He went to get a Mitey-Vac to test the float seats, while I just stood there. I was looking at the things when I noticed one of the pilot jets was not where it should be. It was just sitting in the float chamber. Bingo! Put it on, tighten everything, put it all back together and the damn thing now wouldn't run!!! Grrrrrrr!
Tested the fuel pump, it was working, but no fuel was getting past my nifty-neato quick-disconnect valve. The viton rubber o-ring had swollen so large, it was binding the one side of the q-d to prevent it from fully seating, and releasing the spring-loaded valve inside. No fuel would flow. So we slapped on some old black fuel line and VRRRROOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!! The Beast Roared!!

Boys and girls I am so tickled, this thing sounds so nasty it is unreal. Then service manager was revving the motor just a little to check the timing (is retarded by about 1 degree), when he tapped the flipper and the motor instantly slammed the movable sheave closed on the primary. He looked at me and smiled this big nasty smile and mouthed the words "sounds real good". I take it to mean it tickles his fancy too.

So tomorrow I get to go riding. I will take it easy though, I need to take the time to break it in properly since I just rebuilt the motor from the bottom up.

I need to put the hood on and hook up all the electrics. I also need to re-think my mounting the fuel pump up on the airbox. I thought it would be easier there so I could get to the lines to pull when changing jets, unfortunately it was not a good idea. It just looks cluttered and all the lines get in the way. I am thinking of re-mounting it under the motor where it cannot interfere with anything. As soon as I get some good readings on my plugs, I will install an ATAAc and then forget about changing the stoopid jets.

Pix tomorrow after the new decals are on!! After the end of semester Christmas party.

I am so excited!

·
Registered
41 Posts
ya lllets see some pics
!!!!!!!!!!!1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts