Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to the marsh today, no studs on glare ice....going less than 10mph back end whips around and hits a spot of snow throwing me off and 75% rolling the sled. Now my immaculate baby has a busted hood. What's the best way to fix it for now to keep it from getting worse and the best way to permanently fix it over summer?

/polarisman/../images/users/sno-x-treme/busted hood 1.jpg

/polarisman/../images/users/sno-x-treme/busted hood 4.jpg

/polarisman/../images/users/sno-x-treme/busted hood 9.jpg

[B)] dammit [V]

·
Registered
864 Posts
Can try heavy matt fibreglass with a lot of overlap 4 or 5 inches each side of the crack from behind.. Short of Mr pop rivit..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Try using epoxy on the inside of the hood. I use the WEST EPOXY SYSTEM to repair my hood after damage from sno-cross. It is available from most marine shops as it is used for the construction or repair of boats. AND IT IS STRONGER THAN HELL!!!!!

·
Registered
777 Posts
my daughter rolled my 97 mint xlt,cracked probably worse then yours,get those
cracks as close together as possisble,lots of fibre glass matt on the back side.
cover the mess up with alummium duct tape,touch up the cracks with lots of touch up paint,far cheaper then a other hood.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Yeah fiberglass just the inside strong. Try and fit the cracks back together as close as you can. And load it up on the inside with fiberglass... I did the same thing last year.

·
Registered
837 Posts
make some metal backer plates and rivet through the hood into the plates worked good on my skidoo. and you know i did the same wipe out as you last week, hit some ice and the sled cought some slushy chunky ice and i flew of and my sled wen on its side and cracked the hood a little and broke the windshield trim.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Like everyone was saying fiberglass repair kit. Make sure the inside surface is plenty rough and clean and find a way to hold the edges together while it's curing.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
my ski hooked a 3" tree and cracked the underpart of my (dad's) hood on a (his) '90 AC Prowler, i used a box of rivits and sheet metal... i also used black duct tape, is there a better way to repair it, u mentioned fiberglass above....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Is it a fiberglass hood? If it is a plastic one then you can weld the cracks with a 16 penny nail and a propain torch. Have done that a few times to my AC.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If it is fiberglass,use a hot glue gun to glue it back in place from the outside.Then skuff up the back side real goo and fiberglass it with matt and resin.At the right point of hardening the repair will be firm,but warm.You can peel the hot glue off lioke tape,and not have any resin bleeding thru the crack to the painted surface.Then this summer"V" out the crack and fill it with Duraglass,and sand and spot paint.
Rich

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
The hood on my 1996 ZRT 600 is fiberglass right, I have a crack on my cab to.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Your sled is probably made of smc which is not fiberglass. Here in Canada we have a store called Canadian Tire (imagine that) it sells automotive and all kinds of stuff well anyways what we used was a product called Met-Bond it is made for fixing your type of hood. We used it on my buddies sled and it works just great. You should try your local body shop repair supply store or maybe Pet Boys r something like that. But fiberglass will not work properly if it is the type of hood I am thinking it is. Good luck and keep the rubber side down haha.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I think I will try Canadian Tire since there is one 20 minutes from here in Sudbury. (Northern Ontario) Oh ya I herd the base of the falls froze over is that true.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
or "the reasons to stud" thread, actually went out there today too almost nailing a fallen tree when the back end broke loose in a corner...I'm getting studs dammit!

Your hood is probably made of smc
how do I tell the difference between smc, plastic, fiberglass....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Um, all you really need to do is drill little holes at the end of the cracks do they dont keep cracking further, and use a little West Systems(or for that matter just about any kind of epoxy) on the back. Just be sure to take some sand paper to the back of the hopod before applying the epoxy, it will stick twice as good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts