Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
90 Indy 650.

The keyway on the Jack Shaft on the brake side is badly worn. Is there anything I can do to repair it?

New is $155.00 cdn. Does anyone know where I can get one cheap? Is used an option?

THanks,

CD

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Try this place, they have EVERYTHING for Polaris. They're great to deal with over the phone, and know exactly what you're talking about. I highly recomend:

www.starpages.com/indyss

PS For some reason their link isn't working right now. Keep trying it though. The name of the company is Indy Salvage, they're in Canada.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Hey Indy Triple if the diameter of the shaft where the disk sits is not worn you can take the shaft into a machine shop and have them cut in a new keyway 180 degrees from the old keyway. Most of the time if the keyway is that worn out the shaft is shot. Be careful if you buy a used shaft because most of the time it will also be shot. If somebody has a used one most of the time it is junk. I know it cost a lot but if you want it to be tight for more then a year buy new. Riley

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Rippered you may have seen the jackshaft I have for sale on Snowest. The one I have is a newer shaft with the splined brake disk. It's too bad that's not the kind Indy Triple needs because the shaft I have only has about 200 miles on it. I installed a titainium shaft in that sled a few years ago and sold the sled. Thats why I still have this one. Riley

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I had better look at new.

TiFn70, I called Indy Salvage and they have two, however the key way is also flared.

Thanks,

CD

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I dont know how handy you are and how much other wear is on the shaft, but I have fabricated step keys to fit the worn seat and the disk, I have access to tool room equipment which make it easy for me but you could still make one if you tried.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Any machine shop can do this job an a fraction of the $155 your looking at. I have a question though.How did the keyway get messed up in the first place?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Beats me. All the used shops I called mentioned that their shafts also had widened key ways. I guess it was a design flaw. I believe now they have a spline.

CD

PS I found a machine shop. Bringing it there today to see what they can do with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts