Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[:(!]

Having some troubles taking off the Jack Shaft off my 90 Indy 650.

Here are my problems:

1) There is a colar on the clutch side. Manual says to loosen the nut then hammer it off in the opposite side of the shaft direction. It moves half a turn then stops. I am making a mess of it with the punch.

2) There is a flange that holds the bearing on the clutch side. Two top bolts were easy to remove, third is under where the track is, cannot get to it.

3) Chain case is moving, however where the jack shaft enters its tight and not comming off. I put the bolt in the shaft and hit it with a hammer. Still stuck. Any ideas??

Thanks,

CD

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Indy here is the scoop. First you need to get the lock collar on the jackshaft and front axel loose. Once they are loose then you need to drop the suspension, pull the chain case apart. Take all the brake assembly apart. Just watch what you are doing with the brake assembly. There are 2 clips that hold 2 pins in and 2 9/16 bolts that holds the brake assembly together and 4 1/2 in bolts on the top of the chain case. Sounds like a lot but it is not that bad. Remove the 2 flanges that hold the bearings on the clutch side. Remove the bearings and front axel. Remove the 3 bolts that hold the chain case to the chassis. Now the chain case and jackshaft are loose. Pull both out as 1 unit. Jackshaft is pressed into the bearing in the chain case. Once you get the lock collars to stat to move you may be able to take a channel locks plyers and grab on to it and work it off the end of the bearing. You may want to put on some new bearings as long as you are going through the trouble of doing all this. The last sled I did this to I put all new bearings in the chain case, both on the clutch side and all new bearings in the suspension. I always buy my bearings from a place called Minnesota Bearing. It is a lot cheaper then buying from a Polaris dealer. I know a little long winded here but I have done that many times. I changed the brake disk on my drag sled which is an 89 650 chassis last fall and had it all back together in about 2.5 hours. Good luck Riley
PS if you have any other questions email me at [email protected]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts