Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does windchill affect jetting?

My sled is jetted for about -5F and tomorrow the ambient temperature is supposed to be around +10F, but with the wind, it could be -10 to -20F, do i have to jet for the windchill or for the ambient temperature? thanks

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Originally posted by mdmaniac
[br]Does windchill affect jetting?

My sled is jetted for about -5F and tomorrow the ambient temperature is supposed to be around +10F, but with the wind, it could be -10 to -20F, do i have to jet for the windchill or for the ambient temperature? thanks

common misconception, wind chill does not affect jetting, you jet for what ever the temp is wind chill only affects you.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Windchill affects only humans and animals. Inanimate objects can get only as cold as the ambient air temperature. The wind can only cool an object faster til at ambient temp. The object will not cool below the air temp. -Polaris Doc

·
Registered
252 Posts
When jetting you have a some flex in the temp.
Just because your jetted for -5F doesn't mean you can't run if the temps are higher or lower.
On my sled I have it jetted to where I can run in range of about -15f to about 35f.
Any colder than -15f I'd be doning something else
any warmer it will run sluggish and I'll rejet on the mountain.
We generally don't get below temps to often in Colorado.

·
Registered
40 Posts
its the worst if you're jetted for -5 and the temp is lower. sled runs too lean.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Think of it this way: the wind is not cooling the air. The wind blowing the air over a suface will carry heat away and cool the surface. Thermodynamics tells us that heat moves towards cold until equilibrium is reached, and that's what happening when wind blows air over a surface. The heat is carried away with the cold air, although a temperature equilibrium will never be reached, that's besides the point. You are interested in the temperature of the air as it enters your carberator, and the temperature of the air is not affected by the wind.

I just wish I had some of the snow and cold temps you are riding in lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts