Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering what jets i should use. Currently have 290's in was thinking about getting a tempa flow or maybe even a dial-a-jet any info on which one would be better? also if i would do something like this should i switch up my main to 320's? Any input would help thanks Zach.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Get Holzmann Tempa-Flow. You won't regret it. Before you choose a jet size, take into consideration the coldest temperatures you ride in, and the warmest you ride in. Tempa-Flow is only good for compensation of 20F of fluctuation (i'm pretty sure anyways). According to Holzmann's site, the piece works all the way down to -20F (like -30C). You Install the jet that starts the base line around 20F above the overall/average coldest weather you ride in.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so my average temp is 20 so Should I be lookin to run 310's with the temp flow?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I was under the impression that TempaFlow requires jetting for the lowest temp you ride in, and will compensate fuel mixture all the way up.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
sledcrusher said:
I was under the impression that TempaFlow requires jetting for the lowest temp you ride in, and will compensate fuel mixture all the way up.
Very well could be, but I read somewhere it only had a 20 degree (Fahrenheit) compensation "window". And it doesn't say on there site.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
does anybody know where a jetting chart with tempature is? i looked on the internet and could not find anything.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
flatlander_summit said:
Your very helpful. [Disappointed]

zecow224 said:
does anybody know where a jetting chart with tempature is? i looked on the internet and could not find anything.
The best thing I could find was a jetting chart for a 440 IQr (similar motors?)
2010126152843578_23162.jpg

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
jesse500 said:
flatlander_summit said:
Your very helpful. [Disappointed]

zecow224 said:
The best thing I could find was a jetting chart for a 440 IQr (similar motors?)
2010126152843578_23162.jpg
Your nonsensical incoherent rambling didn't help him.

You likely won't know what to jet at with a tempaflow unless you figure out the jetting for your tempature baseline first. You should be able to find a jetting chart on hcs, there are a lot of guys with race sleds on there. Sledcrusher is correct, you don't want to jet for your warmest temps that you'll be riding in, that won't work, you won't get any more fuel into the sled than the coldest temp you are jetted for.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
The instructions for the tempaflow are avaliable here:

http://www.holtzmaneng.com/page6.html

Just follow them to the T and you will be fine.

As for jetting follow their instructions. For a chart, see here:
http://www.ripperd.com/ftp/admins/prox440trailjetting.jpg
It says 2003 but it is the same as a 2002 basically.

That chart is about 2-3 sizes too rich though in my experience.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ripperd said:
The instructions for the tempaflow are avaliable here:

http://www.holtzmaneng.com/page6.html

Just follow them to the T and you will be fine.

As for jetting follow their instructions. For a chart, see here:
http://www.ripperd.com/ftp/admins/prox440trailjetting.jpg
It says 2003 but it is the same as a 2002 basically.

That chart is about 2-3 sizes too rich though in my experience.
Thank u this is what I have been looking for so they were 2 To 3 sizes to rich, what elevation were you riding at?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so you thought 1500 ft, so what jetting were you running at around 20 degrees? because right now it has 290's and its a little rich still.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Hmm, with no tempaflow 20 degrees and 290's should be about right. I usually ran 300 or possibly 310's at that temp. Are you rich on the top end? Midrange? transition off idle? What is your clip position on the needle?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i am rich off idle and at idle then once i rev up to about 2500 rpms its fine, and i think the clips are stock, because i was doing it at idle but then again my gas is a little rich with oil, right now its got like a 28 to 1 ratio, and can i run like a 40 to 1 or do i have to keep it at exactly 32 to 1?

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
I ran dominator at 40:1 in my pro-xes.

The 440s from the factory were set with a very rich idle. It helps with the WOT let up WOT let up WOT quick revving response. They were not set up to idle for any length of time without loading up. Either live with it, or lean up the pilot jets a little. The clip position will make a difference too. In the 02 I ran it in the 2nd position if the temp was above 0, in the o3 and 04's you ran it in the 3rd position all the time. If you have an 02 in the 3rd posisiton it will make the midrange rich so the transition to WOT will be burbly and not crisp.

Also keep in mind, if you do the tempaflow, you will set your carbs up to -20F, so probably like 340-330 mains and 3rd clip position in an 02.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok so let me get this right, so second position if temp is above zero and then like 310's or 300's? does that sound about right because i am still not sure because my plugs are still dark brown and i have 290's in it and the temp out right now is about 20 to 25 degrees is this right or do you have any idea why it might be rich right now?

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Yes, that sounds about right. Don't rely on plug color that much. Is it running well and getting OK gas mileage? Then leave it alone. Rich is good, you want it to be rich as long as it is running good. You will know when it is too rich because it will not rev quick and be down quite a bit of power and start fouling plugs. If it is running good, has good power, and isn't fouling plugs then let it be.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here's the link for the supplemental manual for the '02 right from the Polaris website. This has all factory carb/clutching/gearing, etc. I'm not saying people can't get better results from making mods, I'm just saying this is what Polaris says to do:

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...9917250r01.pdf

1 - 20 of 20 Posts