Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1998 600 rmk, with twin PSI pipes, modded airbox, boysen reeds,slp powerpack kit. i was wondering what or where i should start with the air fuel mixture ? it seems to have no bottom end but a whole lot of mid to high.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Run it WOT for 1/2 mile to 1 mile, stop as quickly as you can, pull the plugs out quickly see what they look like. They should be a tannish color. If they are black, your running rich, if they are white you are running really lean. Adjust from there.

Another method is to run it at 3000 RPM's for about 30 seconds while on a stand and continue on with the test.

With your situation, I would guess you are running leaner then you should.

*edit* - let the engine warm up a little bit before performing the test, as it is not only hard on your engine running it that hard right away, but can also effect the color of the plugs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know the jetting is right because of the plug color but im wondering about the air/fuel mixture screw on the side of the carb ?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
how do you know your jetting is right, if you have no bottom end performance? you cannot set jetting based solely on the color of the plug.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Air/Fuel mixture on the side as far as i Know is for Idle.....

Also, besides plug color, get a bore light and inspect for piston wash, lots of topics on this site regarding piston wash, what it is and how to read it.

Good Luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it might not be jetted right but i have no clue what it should be jetted for and like. with those mods it took it away from stock specs. so i dont know what to do.

·
Registered
510 Posts
try going to a smaller pilot jet. the slp powerpaks increase low throttle velocity and signal strength and this can have the effect of pulling more or too much fuel through the pilot jets. with twin pipes you are bound to loose some lowe end power. try increasing clutch engagement also to get into the meat of the powerband.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what do i do to make the clutch engage higher in rpm ? or would it just be better to order a kit from slp or something ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts