Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to pick up an older sled as a project to mess around with as I find these old classic sleds really interesting. I found a decent John Deere around here for $300 that runs. Its a 78' Spitfire with a Kohler engine. Other than a shredded seat it looks good. Would this be a worthwhile project for restoration or are these a tough one for parts, particularly with the Kohler engine?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had a 1980 Spitfire. It had a Kawasaki engine in it. If the Kohler engine goes bad the Kawasaki will fit right in but you will need the Mikuni butterfly carb used for it. $300 is a good price if only the seat is bad. They're direct drive sleds and very light. No chain case to mess with but I had the drive shaft axle bearing go out and to change you need to pull the driven clutch and track off. Not too much work. I bought a new seat from an old friend from Ohio who specializes in old sleds. His name is Bob Christie (330) 847-0860

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, especially on the fact the engine can easily be replaced if no parts are available for the Kohler. Wasnt aware that its direct drive either, thats kind of neat! Other than the seat it looks pretty decent so I may just pick this one up
ed

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Ah.. the green booger with the heads coming out the top. The power to weight ratio on these is AMAZING. Fun sled, but not exactly the most stable thing I've owned/ridden. For parts you can check out centralsnowmobile.com and alssnowmobile.com.

Bryan

·
Registered
26 Posts
i have 2 spitfires, very easy too work on and light as a feather, but widening the ski`s should be on your list. very tippy!!!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Brother In Law has a 78 spitfire. Blast to ride Weighs in at about 250 lbs and comes out of the hole like a crotch rocket. If you have a Kohler with the original butterfly carb I would suggest switching over to a slide Mikuni VM 34 carb. The old butterfly carbs were pigs and you can't get parts or rebuild kits for them any more.

Great John Deere site lot's of guys on here willing to help if you are rebuilding and have questions.

http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/jdsleds/

Down side of the spitfire is that it is an odd size track and modifications will be rquired if you need to re track the machine. We have not been there yet with ours.

Good luck

[attachment=53879]

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
The Spitfire is in fact...one of the most fun sleds to ride. Fresh drifting snow with 4 foot drifts....you go drift bustin...and if you get stuck...you simply lift it up and go again. About 2 hours of this and you are used up...kinda like riding the old stand-up Kawasaki Jet-Ski. It also makes a great transition between the mini 120s and full size for your kids.

In regards to parts, DKTrader has been selling everything from cranks to electrical parts dirt cheap on ebay.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had 2 spitfires. a 78 and a 80. both wonderfull sleds. i like the 80 body and colour and the kolher motor so i withced the motors in the 2 took me only 1 afternoon. very good sled to work on.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
wow $300 I got mine for free. Anyone want to buy mine. lol

[attachment=37384]

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well the spitfire was sold so I missed it. Now I am debating between a 67' evinrude skeeter, a 71 arctic cat lynx, or a 71 ski-doo. All cheap project sleds. I am leaning towards the Lynx as it seem parts are pretty obtainable.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Originally posted by cthulu
[br]well the spitfire was sold so I missed it. Now I am debating between a 67' evinrude skeeter, a 71 arctic cat lynx, or a 71 ski-doo. All cheap project sleds. I am leaning towards the Lynx as it seem parts are pretty obtainable.
The old lynx are a good project sled as well. I think BILs is a 72. The only problem with sleds that old are points vs electronic ignitions. I hate points and condensers![:D]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts