Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you would love it if John Deere came back out with snowmobiles? I personaly would pick one up the day they came out lol, John Deere wasnt always the best but, at the same time no one ever had anything bad to say about them[:D].
I think they were know for reliability and inovation.And If they did I wonder what platform of engine they would use? 2 or 4 stroke?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The last year they put a sled out was 1984. Were you even alive?

Personally I wouldn't get one. I would stick with the tried and true of the big 4 companies. Until they can prove that they have a solid and reliable sled I wouldn't even look at getting one.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I don't think that producing a snowmobile is all that high on John Deere list of things to do. It would be cool to have more competition though.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
i have a 73 John deere 400that im picking up on well sometime this weekend, and i have a chance at getting a 73 JDX8, but not sure if im gonna get it

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think JD's were alright but would not buy one because of there warranty . I heard they would not stand behind there manure spreaders .

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Originally posted by fred19
[br]I think JD's were alright but would not buy one because of there warranty . I heard they would not stand behind there manure spreaders .
LOL, who would?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would buy one. I have 3 jd sleds right now. Your right, they were very inoovative in there time and made a very good product.

JDs I own
1978 Spitfire
1980 Trailfire 340
1982 Trailfire 440 LX

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I think it would be neat if John Deere came out with a snowmobile again. I always kind of wondered what would have happened if they would have come out with an IFS back in '82 to '85 and kept making machines.

I think XCSP700GUY has it right though, it isn't probably very high on the priority list at Deere. Even if they did brand a snowmobile, it likely would not be their own. Even their cheaper lines of lawn tractors are not actually made by Deere.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
My friend had a couple of them when I was younger. We rode the crap out of them. Until the tracks rotted and basically fell off. But they always started and never needed adjustment!

I personally would like to see some other companies come into the market, with "fresh" ideas. There's a few "new" ideas that are out now that make me think "What the heck?". I personally do not believe the big 4 are thinking correctly.

My dad used to have a liquifire. He said it was really quick and was great to drive. He said he even wants to find another one.

I fear what happened not so long ago with the auto industry. Sub par products + overpriced units = go karts everywhere.

Bryan

·
Registered
557 Posts
I read an article about the JD Liquidator. Sounds like it was a mean sled in its day.

Won the Winnipeg to St. Paul International in its rookie year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got a 440 liquifire 82 and am in the process of getting it running , bought an old one piece suit off e-bay and am gonna be stylin when I hit the hill

·
Registered
318 Posts
HOw do you think Polaris became a good sled. THey bought out John Deere for the technology. Prior to that Polaris wasn't all that great.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Would that be about the time that Poo almost bought Cat, and decided against it? Then Cat went under?

How do you think Poo had the $$ to buy JD (I wasn't aware of this but I'll take it you know what you're talking about)? It wasn't because their sales were down, or they weren't dominating races. That's for sure.

EDIT: Sorry guys this was borderline brand-bashing. However what I said is true and fact.

Bryan

·
Registered
384 Posts
Originally posted by t660redrocket
[br]HOw do you think Polaris became a good sled. THey bought out John Deere for the technology. Prior to that Polaris wasn't all that great.
Deere was doing something right. I just wish they wouldn't have sold out in '84 and came out with the 530 wildfire in '85 with the IFS like was planned. I've had 4 deeres and 2 of them were the liquifire. One was the 1st gen and the other was the 2nd. They were both great sleds. I just wish my garage hadn't burned. I'd still have the '81 Liquifire.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
[br]Prior to that Polaris wasn't all that great.
IFS set Polaris light years ahead of the other manufacturers in 1980. JD wasn't done until '84.

Also, I did not know Polaris bought out the JD snowmobile line.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Pretty cocky for thinking you know so much! Polaris specifically bought JD because of there new independent front suspension that was to be debuted on the JD wildfire in 1985. At that time Polaris really didn't have a very good suspension planned. By the way, at the time of the buyout JD was selling more sleds than Poo. As far as Cat closing up shop I don't know the details other than there ultimately was a power struggle with the investors. As they back stabbed each other they didn't realize the impact they were making on the company. It had nothing to do with quality of snowmobile, but rather dumba$$ businessmen.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
[br]Pretty cocky for thinking you know so much! Polaris specifically bought JD because of there new independent front suspension that was to be debuted on the JD wildfire in 1985. At that time Polaris really didn't have a very good suspension planned. By the way, at the time of the buyout JD was selling more sleds than Poo. As far as Cat closing up shop I don't know the details other than there ultimately was a power struggle with the investors. As they back stabbed each other they didn't realize the impact they were making on the company. It had nothing to do with quality of snowmobile, but rather dumba$$ businessmen.
WHOA! Poo didn't invent IFS - it was used on the race course by someone else first. Moto-ski maybe? I'm not 100% sure. The first IFS racing sled by Poo was in the middle of 77. Part of 77 was leafers, then they realized what they could do with IFS and by the end of the season all race sleds were IFS. In 78 there was the RXL. Total domination with that sled. And their own IFS setup. No one else's. If you think that cat going under had ANYTHING to do with them backstabbing you're wrong. They went under because they lost their following. Racing died down since no one could beat Poo and their racing team. It was a complete joke.
If Poo bought them to "use their tech" then why is my front IFS on my 81 TXL-Indy nearly identical (small things like ski stance) to my 95 XLT? If JD's stuff was so "innovative" and "great" why didn't they use it?
Here is the difference between people who think their poop don't stink, and people who are truly fans of the sport. I can recognize what JD did. I respect their sleds, sincerely. What they did on and off the track. The extreme following they still have to this day. What they had to offer the market. I even want to get my hands on a Spitfire.
I can also recognize what my "favorite" brand has to offer, and its shortcomings. I am not a "polaris: end-all be-all" type of person. Especially with the Vintage stuff.
But saying Polaris wasn't all that great before they bought JD is an absolutely ludicrous statement.

Bryan

·
Registered
78 Posts
Polaris came out with trailing arm IFS before they bought JD. Also The JD wildfire had a Yamaha Pogo Stick type Front suspension. There are many patent drawings and at least 1 JD sled website to confirm this.

Also if Polaris didnt make good sleds until after the JD buyout in 84 you need to expalin why? Have you ever heard of the tx, tx-ls, colts, etc. What about the RXL race sled of the late 70's? Were those all junk?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts