Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't quite got the art of catching air on the sleds yet. I have tried hooking my feet in the foot wells, Sitting forward, Standing, Standing and leaning forward and have gotten quite sore through it all. By the end of the day I got more comfortable, but how about some Air Time tips. I am sure I am not the only one who would like some advice. I am just not shy about asking. Please, bring it on!

Live to Ride! - FrozenSmile

·
Registered
246 Posts
Jumping just take practice. Normally I keep my feet centered on the running boards. The best tip I can give you is that when you are in the air, if you tap the break the nose will drop and if you give it gas the nose will go up.

Snowmaching is not a thing to do - its a way of life

·
Registered
322 Posts
i asked my dad on some advice on jumping. he tried to help me out but kinda ended up confusing me. last time i jumped i held the gas, and when i hit the ground my skis flew up and i flew off the back of the sled. my dad was laughing so hard!!! he told me just to let off the gas at the top of a jump. haven't tried it yet but i will. let you all know how it works out. wish me luck!!!

I may be young, but I ain't dumb!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I like to keep my feet in the foot wells ever since I twisted my knee when my foot slipped off. If your jumping long distances be sure not to hold the gas too long in the air, or your sled will be vertical with your head light shining in the air. (my snow flap hit first, could have hurt, but I let off in time!) We have a small ridge in our soy bean field that I like to hit a 70 mph, with at least 2 feet of snow for padding. I don't have the nice 10" rear susp. like most others! :)

Where's all the snow??? Grass is still green. :-(

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where are all the veteran jumpers? I thank you all for the advice given. I will try them this weekend. We don't have 10 inches of snow, but enough to have some fun.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Up north there is snow up the wazzu and the plow mounds by drive way get like 10 feet high. My friend nate and i jump over the driveways and end up getting about 18-20 feet off the drive way. we never really land on the other bank, but there is so much snow its like we land on a cusion of air. When you are jumping a powdery jump give it as much throttle as you can. Hard Packed jumps dont need as much throttle.

·
Registered
322 Posts
yea but last time when i held the throttle when i landed the skis yanked up and i went off the back.

so should i just ease off in the air so my skis don't go up? how would that work?

·
Administrator
13,091 Posts
What I do, is just go off the jump, once in the air, let go of the throttle, maybe tap the brake to stay level, and as soon as you land, just punch the throttle. Then you will not have a "wheelie" (skilie?) effect.

I've found this works.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I Love B&M Coasters.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
landing with the throttle on, not fully on, actually lessens a spine crushing impact. It keeps the suspension from colapsing so fast. It's really difficult to explain how to jump. You really gotta show it. I'm good at it from many years of MX racing. It takes time, confidence, many bad landings, and correcting those mistakes until you become better. And experimenting with different throttle, brake, riding position, speed .....

Watch Snocross and watch those guys

"Faster than a speeding ticket....and then some"

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Another thing is to invest in handlebar risers, long risers. Other wise your too hunched over. This helps a lot.

"Faster than a speeding ticket....and then some"

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Yeah, taller bars also uses more of the muscles in your chest and upper back which are stronger than having to hunch over the bars. This results in less fatigue and you can ride longer with out getting sore. If you want to jump with more control be sure to stand while jumping and landing. Keep you butt off the seat when possible. You can maneuver farther and quicker, plus standing allows you to use your legs to help cushion the blow of landing and maybe help prevent spine jammers. I prefer this style.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Everyone has excellent advice. I thank you all. Hopefully we have more snow this weekend and I can try to improve my sky abilities. I think everyone needs this advice. Take care and....

Ride to live.

·
Registered
322 Posts
thats what my dad meant i think when he said to let off. i see him hit jumps all the time and he looks really cool doin it. i guess i'll try what you said Polaris-Man cuz it seems like it'll work

1 - 16 of 16 Posts