Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the news that I smoked my crankshaft bearings on my 1994 Indy XLT (4900 miles). Looking at around a grand to repair so the question is do I repair it or sell it for parts???

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
shoot madcow a pm....he could fix it a lot cheaper.hes putting a top end on my 1993 xlt and cl carbs for around 500.00. he charges 30.00 an hour.

·
Registered
725 Posts
yes as others have stated, you can find cheaper ways to fix your problem. DO NOT send it to the scrap yard, we need to keep as many older sleds around as humanly possible. So do your part and keep it on the trail, please!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK you have talked me into rebuilding it. So since this is new to me can anyone tell me if there are any tricks or things I need to watch for while I rebuild this engine. Are there any special tools required that I will need? Basically I'm looking at tearing it all the way down to the crank then back up again. Is there anything I could read on this site to give me an overview of what I will be doing?

Thanks,

·
Registered
340 Posts
Buy the repair manual and read it from cover to cover. Until four years ago I had no idea how to tinker on a sled. Between this website and a clymer repair manual there pretty easy to rebuild. The manual will even tell you what special tools you need. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
as long as the clutch and flywheel are off you dont need any special tools. Just a little yamabond to reseal the crank halves.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Clutch puller
Flywheel puller
Timing light
Dial indicator with adapter for cylinder head
Degree wheel
Dial calipers
Everything else will be normal tools. I cannot agree more regarding the service manual. With that, you can do a rebuild just like the shop will.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
You should be able to rebuild an XLT for less than $1000. I know you can rebuild a twin for about $300 and I cant see why an XLT would be so much more.
Id say it should cost you $500 at the most.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts