Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a thread for the build of my ‘92 Indy 500 SP

Hey everyone, this is my ‘92 Indy 500 SP that I got from the junkyard. I paid $175 for the sled, and as the name goes, it came from my local junkyard. A little forewarning before I dive into this story, if you buy a junkyard sled, you will more than likely encounter some title issues like I am right now. The DMV has told me I have to find the owner before the junkyard so I can register the sled, despite having a bill of sale from the junkyard. Now that that’s taken care of, here’s Junkyard Jet

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grille Motor vehicle

Boat Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Watercraft

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas

I bought this sled last winter around mid January. I had originally bought it to try and fix and kind of restore but at the time I did not have extra parts for it. Flash forward a to the beginning of February. My buddy and I were riding in a ditch and he hit a culvert so hard it warped the frame on my ‘96 Evolved chassis 488. I had then decided to pull the skid out of this sled and swap in an XTRA 10 skid. Well, sadly that never happened as the parts sled that I had bought to try and fix my 488 was actually turned into my full time rider sled. This ended up taking the quite a bit of time to do as I had to balance snowmobiling, work, and school out. Anyways, that’s a whole different story I will be covering later when I discuss how I put a dragon chassis seat on an evolved chassis. Fast forward again, to around July 4th, I had just gotten off of work and was bored since parts are taking awhile to ship for my Camaro so I decided to take a look at my sleds again. I had the recoil off of the ‘92 SP and thought I was gonna have to spend money on a new spring but when I pulled the rope, it actually worked just fine. This caused me to look closer at the sled since I didn’t really look all that hard at what was working and what wasn’t when I bought it. All I knew was that I was going to need at least a new pair of carbs and an exhaust pipe. Anyways, I’ve now pulled the chain case, the driveshaft, studded track, and I’ve now begun to pull the motor out as I believe that the stator is bad on this sled.

Wood Automotive tire Building House Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Mode of transport Automotive exterior Automotive design

Wood Composite material Gas Building material Concrete

I’ve decided to fix this sled using some extra parts I have from my totaled evolved chassis and then try and get this sled titled. If I can’t get it titled then I will have a fun beater sled for around my farm or around my cabin. I will post more as I get stuff done to the sled. The next post with pictures should contain a pretty big change

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, it looks like I still forget to take before and after pictures for some of the stuff I do lol. Anyways, first picture does have a filter on it because it had a bad glare but I pulled the motor and wiring harness out of Junkyard Jet. I also cleaned the recoil, primary clutch, and secondary clutch. sadly there is much more cleaning to be done as like all of my projects, this sled has had mice go through it. Can’t escape the mice lol. I will have to go through most of the harness and the sled will likely not have handlebar warmers for awhile, but hey, what does it matter when it’s a sled that will have some weight reduction that’s meant for beating on.
Urban design Composite material Motor vehicle Gas Engineering

Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Alloy wheel Motor vehicle

Wheel Automotive tire Tread Alloy wheel Synthetic rubber

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper

Gas Engineering Machine Metal Auto part

Automotive tire Road surface Motor vehicle Gas Composite material

Gas Electrical wiring Auto part Machine Automotive tire

·
Registered
81 Posts
Those older model sleds look so much easier to work on. New sleds seem to be designed to make it almost impossible to service the engine without removing. No space under the hood!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those older model sleds look so much easier to work on. New sleds seem to be designed to make it almost impossible to service the engine without removing. No space under the hood!
I’ve heard that about newer sleds. Don’t think I’ll be working on one anytime soon though as I’m just a broke high school kid lol. Will say this about the older Polaris sleds, while they are nice and accessible to work on, parts are expensive for them, such as my thermal switch, which is the only thing I need left for my wiring harness to be complete. That specific OE part is $100 on EBay from what I’ve seen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it looks like I’m moving along at a decent pace here, if only I could do that with a few other projects of mine (*cough *cough 84 Camaro *cough *cough). Anyways, I’ve finished the wiring harness for the sled, installed the led Camaro headlight, and cleaned out all of the rat sh*t from the belly pan of the sled. Still a little greasy but that doesn’t really matter that much to me. I may shorten the harness after I get the motor in, it all depends on how clean it looks after I get the motor in and everything hooked up.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Photograph Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

Asphalt Road surface Automotive lighting Grass Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Fender

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper

Hood Naval architecture Grille Motor vehicle Bumper

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Grille Automotive tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Wood Gas

Wood Gas Font Metal Plumbing

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So here’s the shtick on Junkyard Jet. I started off by removing all of the old heat tape and I replaced it with something that I believe will get the job done, is it nice looking? Probably not. Do I care? Not at all 😆. After that I went on to paint a new headlight bucket and gauge cluster cover as the old one I had was cracked. I’ve decided to use the old sp hood as there are no longer any so graphics kits that I can find. I then pulled the chain case out of the 488 and I got the front skid mount plates out. Finally, I went ahead and drilled most of the old rivets out of the tunnel to get the old wedge mounts off to get the XTRA 10 skid in. Seeing as I had the evolved chassis mounts with the lift at the bottom, I took advantage of that and now the sled has a mean rake.
Wood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Asphalt

Hand Guitar accessory Grass Wood Musical instrument accessory

Shoe Automotive tire Automotive design Helmet Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt

Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Wood Automotive tire

Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Tire

Hood Grille Automotive design Bumper Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Fender Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is a thread for the build of my ‘92 Indy 500 SP

Hey everyone, this is my ‘92 Indy 500 SP that I got from the junkyard. I paid $175 for the sled, and as the name goes, it came from my local junkyard. A little forewarning before I dive into this story, if you buy a junkyard sled, you will more than likely encounter some title issues like I am right now. The DMV has told me I have to find the owner before the junkyard so I can register the sled, despite having a bill of sale from the junkyard. Now that that’s taken care of, here’s Junkyard Jet

View attachment 533133
View attachment 533134
View attachment 533135

I bought this sled last winter around mid January. I had originally bought it to try and fix and kind of restore but at the time I did not have extra parts for it. Flash forward a to the beginning of February. My buddy and I were riding in a ditch and he hit a culvert so hard it warped the frame on my ‘96 Evolved chassis 488. I had then decided to pull the skid out of this sled and swap in an XTRA 10 skid. Well, sadly that never happened as the parts sled that I had bought to try and fix my 488 was actually turned into my full time rider sled. This ended up taking the quite a bit of time to do as I had to balance snowmobiling, work, and school out. Anyways, that’s a whole different story I will be covering later when I discuss how I put a dragon chassis seat on an evolved chassis. Fast forward again, to around July 4th, I had just gotten off of work and was bored since parts are taking awhile to ship for my Camaro so I decided to take a look at my sleds again. I had the recoil off of the ‘92 SP and thought I was gonna have to spend money on a new spring but when I pulled the rope, it actually worked just fine. This caused me to look closer at the sled since I didn’t really look all that hard at what was working and what wasn’t when I bought it. All I knew was that I was going to need at least a new pair of carbs and an exhaust pipe. Anyways, I’ve now pulled the chain case, the driveshaft, studded track, and I’ve now begun to pull the motor out as I believe that the stator is bad on this sled.

View attachment 533130
View attachment 533132
View attachment 533131

I’ve decided to fix this sled using some extra parts I have from my totaled evolved chassis and then try and get this sled titled. If I can’t get it titled then I will have a fun beater sled for around my farm or around my cabin. I will post more as I get stuff done to the sled. The next post with pictures should contain a pretty big change
A lot of work has been done already, it looks great!
I was wondering. Doesn't the owner of the junkyard own these sleds?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I was told from both the Minnesota DNR and DMV the junkyard owner does own these sleds as far as scrapping them goes, however, the registration is still under the name of the previous owner which is where the problem is. I’m currently in the process of attempting to register it for trail riding which has left me with a few options, find the previous owner and have them transfer the registration to me, file a claim against the Minnesota DNR for a snowmobile registration, or register it as a classic for limited trail use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
From what I was told from both the Minnesota DNR and DMV the junkyard owner does own these sleds as far as scrapping them goes, however, the registration is still under the name of the previous owner which is where the problem is. I’m currently in the process of attempting to register it for trail riding which has left me with a few options, find the previous owner and have them transfer the registration to me, file a claim against the Minnesota DNR for a snowmobile registration, or register it as a classic for limited trail use.
The thrifty junkyard purchase doesn't turn out so thrifty either... If you sue, you can give a lot of money away. Or is it not very expensive?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The thrifty junkyard purchase doesn't turn out so thrifty either... If you sue, you can give a lot of money away. Or is it not very expensive?
Yea I’m starting to think that it’s it worth it so much. But hey, if I can’t get it registered what’s gonna stop me from riding on my own 48 acres of land up in Northern Minnesota? I’m not sure how expensive the claim against the DNR will be, the person from the DNR I was on the phone with didn’t tell me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yea I’m starting to think that it’s it worth it so much. But hey, if I can’t get it registered what’s gonna stop me from riding on my own 48 acres of land up in Northern Minnesota? I’m not sure how expensive the claim against the DNR will be, the person from the DNR I was on the phone with didn’t tell me.
48 acres is not a small area. Wouldn't that be enough to satisfy your sporting interest?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
48 acres is not a small area. Wouldn't that be enough to satisfy your sporting interest?
Yes but I’m also trying to get my younger brother + any of my friends/his friends into snowmobiling to keep the dying sport of snowmobiling alive. Most of my friends/my younger brothers friends who don’t ride are interested but don’t want to buy a sled until they’ve tried out snowmobiling. The 48 acres is 2 hours away and I am still in high school and work a full time job. I don’t get every weekend off to go riding so I would like to be able to ride it around my house on the trails.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For the most part, yes these sleds are a lot easier to work on. Can’t really speak as to how hard the newer sleds are to work on yet lol. One of the few annoying problems with the older wedge chassis Polaris sleds is the bottom chain case bolt can be a bit of a bastard to install.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I thought it would never happen but I’ve actually managed to almost complete my first actual snowmobile suspension swap and track swap. I’ve got to give a big thanks to my buddy Andrew, my Dad, and my buddy Tom for giving me a hand with some of the skid mounting as it’s a lot easier to do with 2 people. The picture with a more complete looking sled is the sled nearly put back together, I just need a few more bolts and I need to put the chain case together but other than that it will be just down to the motor. I may or may not have something interesting in the works that isn’t a twin 500 motor that will make this thing a real Jet.
Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Road surface Asphalt

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive wheel system Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Tread Wheel

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt

Grille Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Asphalt

1 - 15 of 15 Posts