Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an extra '95 ZR chassis sitting in the basement (along with the rest of the parts to it) and i have a Tcat 900 sitting in the shed. i really love the 580 chassis and suspension, but the 900 motor makes a ton more power. 175hp compared to 96hp in the 580.

The 580 chassis has a weak spot right where the tunnel and bulkhead are connected. but i wonder if it would handle the torque of the 900 triple if i beefed it up with maybe a steel plate?

If i can get the clutches to line up (custom motor mounts? or would ZRT mounts work?), get the pipes to fit and go with foam filters instead of an airbox it should work. then i could take the gears out of the Tcat chaincase and put them in the ZR. The only problem i can think of is how massive the crankcase of the 900 is. with the balancing rod, the crankcase if almost twice as big as a 580.

i think it would be a pretty bada$$ sled, a stock looking 580 with a 900 stuffed under the hood. i dont see this project happening anytime in the near future, this is just an idea.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Sounds like a fun project, if I were gonna do a project like that I would probably stretch it to a 136 and give it a 1.50-2.00 lug for powder. You could beef up the chassis, probably your best bet. I don't even know where to start with the motor mounts.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i wouldnt make it a powder sled. theres not enough pow around here to make it worth it. i want to make it into a sleeper, stock 580 decals and everything. but be able to outrun ZRT 800's.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Do it up, anything can be done with enough time. It would be a sweet sled.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Haha!! I was thinking about doing the same thing to my EXT MTN next year! Except I'd throw in a 600 or 800 triple. Probably a 600. If you do this project, keep me updated I'm interested!!

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
ClassicCat76 said:
Haha!! I was thinking about doing the same thing to my EXT MTN next year! Except I'd throw in a 600 or 800 triple. Probably a 600. If you do this project, keep me updated I'm interested!!
Get ahold of me if you wanna put EFI on that 600.. It'll be poo, but it'll work.. ;)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
^^Will do!!!!

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
136" would be a good idea, you don't need the deeper lugs, just keep it 1.25-1.50". It all depends on if the chassis can take the torque, especially if you extend her.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the 136" aint a bad idea, but this build would be using all the parts i have just lying around. why go buy a new track, extend the tunnel, and get a bigger skid frame (or extend the old one) when i have all the stock parts ready to go together?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts