Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was elated to find a 2001 Arctic Cat ZR600 efi LE still in the crate with a great price. $3500.00!!![:D] Put on 420 miles when I noticed that the front rear suspension shock was dead. Took it off and brought it into the dealer to have it rebuilt. Dealer said that it waqs full of black junk. Decided to have the rest of the shocks checked and they all were very dirty with black sludgy junk in them. I then took her out on a weekend ride when my speedo quit working at 620 miles. Tore it all apart whewn I got home to find out that the bearing behind the speedo was junk. [:(] Is this all due to sitting in the crate for so long and if so, is there anything else I to be on the lookout for to happen? Any replies would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Did you thoroughly grease the machine before you took it out riding? I wouldnt be suprised if they just had a little bit of lube on the bearings from the factory but not as much as needed.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I suppose bearings that sit that long can develop rust from moisture, I would check all your bearings on the bogie wheels too, just pop out the oil seal and see if they are dry/rusted since you have the suspension loosened to change the driveshaft bearing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Waterboy
[br]I suppose bearings that sit that long can develop rust from moisture, I would check all your bearings on the bogie wheels too, just pop out the oil seal and see if they are dry/rusted since you have the suspension loosened to change the driveshaft bearing.
Most everything on the underneath side of the sled has been checked or gone thru as I lengthened the sled out from 121 to a 136 right after I bought it. I even checked the bearing at that time and it looked great, thats why I was so astonished to find that it was the bearing.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Shame on the dealer for not checking that stuff for you. I know you got a deal, but I would think that stuff would have atleast been checked out.

Originally posted by PolecatZRs
[br]I was elated to find a 2001 Arctic Cat ZR600 efi LE still in the crate with a great price. $3500.00!!![:D] Put on 420 miles when I noticed that the front rear suspension shock was dead. Took it off and brought it into the dealer to have it rebuilt. Dealer said that it waqs full of black junk. Decided to have the rest of the shocks checked and they all were very dirty with black sludgy junk in them. I then took her out on a weekend ride when my speedo quit working at 620 miles. Tore it all apart whewn I got home to find out that the bearing behind the speedo was junk. [:(] Is this all due to sitting in the crate for so long and if so, is there anything else I to be on the lookout for to happen? Any replies would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
11,680 Posts
My buddy picked up a '02 ZR 600 EFI a year or two ago...still in the crate. The only problem he had was some issues with the powervalves. Apparently the sitting caused them to gum up somehow for some reason. Got that fixed and it was good to go. Oh, and congrats on the sled!

·
Registered
482 Posts
well besides the shocks and the bearings theres not much else that typically goes wrong on these, maybe the over rev throttle protection thing, but thats easy, cut 1 wire and done(if they still did it that way in 01

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
At my dealership this past fall we sold on ebay a '98, '99 and 2000 Powder Special. I could be mistaken on the years, but I think that's right. They were all in the crate and we bought em at auction at the factory in Thief River Falls. We buy hundreds of non currents that way and sell em online.

·
Registered
482 Posts
thats what i'd assume. same with all those bank repo sleds and cars that get sold at auction, often you need a dealers license just to get into the auction.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Sweet buy!!! Great sled! It being that old and just sitting there i would expect to find a few things dried up or slugged up! But for 3500 new you still got a great deal! And its an LE thats awsome those are usually the first to be sold!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts