Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I just picked up a very nice 97 XLT SP with electric start and xtra-12 for $500 because it needed a new heat exchanger and track (both of which I had already)

So I got this sled and I really want to keep is so bad because it in sweet shape. My problem is that From all my research, I have found that this sled is probably a time bomb!

It is the 97 sled with the 03 serial numbers (no fourth oil port for the PTO bearing)

So I am trying to figure out what to do with this thing because it is so BA but I know I am asking for trouble

So your opinion:

Sell it?
Keep it and ride the piss out of it?
Fix it?

20101127221537647_29937.jpg
20101127221550647_29937.jpg
2010112722166787_29937.jpg

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have a 1996 Polaris xlt 600 sp. With 12,500 miles just had the top end done runs like a champ. I think it just depends on how you take care of them and if you do the right maintenance they will run forever.

·
Registered
96 Posts
keep it and ride the hell out of it. For what you paid for it if you keep it in good shape and the motor blows, you can part it out and probably come out ahead or break even at least.

I didn't know about XLT's and their motors when I bought my '97 (had a whole winter the next year on crutches to learn) but I still won't get rid of it. I like the Wedge too much, I guess. Mine has 4900 on the odometer (3-oil line motor) and triple pipes, I plan to keep it until it goes and then I'll decide what to do then, but I'll just try to have fun as much as I can with it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I stand by my XLT i had a different one last year that I bought for $400 bucks that was beat to sh*t put a thousand miles on it and the crank went the odometer had about 4900 miles on it I was going to fix it but came upon a better deal for the XLT you see in my avatar which is rebuilt bored and ported and I love it if the crank goes on this motor I will be putting in a 650 anyway I love the XLT's some go forever some die young but $500 well spent

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah. It is such a nice looking sled I would hate to get rid of it. I don't see many wedges in really good shape. I might just keep my eyes open for a spare motor to through in if it ever blows.

The guy I got it from ran Polaris Blue in it so I think I will stick to that.

Also when I got it it was fogged and the guy has 15 other polaris sleds in his shop.

I turned the oiler up yesterday but I think I might have gone too far. I need some SNOW so I can take it for a test ride.

random statements... getting tired

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yeah it looks well maintained I lucked out when I bought my new one he had receipts as proof that it had all new idler wheels and all the shocks had been recharged and brand new track and custom paint fresh complete rebuild its like a brand new sled I hope you have good luck with yours.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
all the research you found is wrong. cant say that the sled wont break down, but in large the xlt's and most sleds of that era are high milage sleds.
i would without a second thougth fix it up and enjoy it.
anyone that says its a time bomb is a fool. the only thing that makes it a time bomb is the previous owner not the sled.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By fix it up do you mean tear the motor.out and install a new oil pump and oil port or just make run it?

I am glad i am hearing this because i really want to keep it

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
i would say with out a doubt and never owning one to fix it and keep it, my friend has one with 136 rails and a paddle track and i could ride it all day long and then some, funnest sled i have ever ridden

·
Registered
659 Posts
dbosco002 said:
I checked out your avatar... sweet looking sled. what year is it?
Its a 95 only have 280 miles on the motor got about 35 miles on this year I have to say porting and boring makes a big BIG difference and the 1.25 inch paddle track it goes like hell my friend has an XLT also with stock everything I was leaving him behind without going past half throttle couldn't believe it had that much more and I hear people trash talk the XLT engine all the time but from what I have seen and I know about five people with an XLT in the shed if you take care and maintain it it will go as far as any other sled I will ride mine until I can no longer find parts for it (which will be never) as I said before damn good find for $500.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I turned the oiler up yesterday but I think I might have gone too far. I need some SNOW so I can take it for a test ride.

I have the pump advanced on my XLT as per the installation instructions from SLP for their pipes I have. SLP says to advance alignment mark on injection pump arm 1-2mm at full throttle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What does that mean? 1-2 mm? Because it is indexed as a circle.... like a clock. Maybe you can give me more description

·
Registered
96 Posts
dbosco002 said:
What does that mean? 1-2 mm? Because it is indexed as a circle.... like a clock. Maybe you can give me more description
From my Polaris service manual--

"After engine RPM and carburator adjustments have been made, oil pump must also be adjusted.

--With engine off and throttle at idle position, the pump lever index mark must align with pump boss index mark.

--loosen lock nuts on cable housing sleeve and vary
cable housing legnth as required. Note-- verify pump lever ia acutated upon initial throttle lever opening."

Basiclly this means lever mark is set to legthen the amount of cable (clockwise 1-2mm) exposed so that when throttle lever is pulled and cable shortens and pulls up on lever of oil pump it moves lever farther to WOT to increase oil flow.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I had my xlt for three years and rode the crap out of it both of them. I had it maintenenced at the beging of winter every year and never had a problem with it once. I sold it with 7700 miles for $1200. Just as long as you take care of them they last quite a while those old triples are dependable and quick

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a 1996 Polaris XLT touring and its been a great sled. I bought it in 2001 and put some 3500 miles on it. It now has just over 6800 miles on it and still has 120psi of compression per cylinder. 2 years ago I added a set of 1st generation Purple/black Simmons flexi skis and what a difference on the trail much better steering and it eliminated all the darting and a smoother ride as well. I am considering adding them to my 1996 Polaris 440 sport 2up as well. As to reliablity I heard that modding it by adding triple pipes can sometimes lead to a crank failure. The Pto oiler passage way can be bored out more to allow more lubricant and that can increase reliability too. I feel that using good quality oil really helps too and I use Amsoil interceptor in both my 2ups and also my 1999 TS640 tigershark. Take good care of it and it will last, always use a good quality synthetic oil and ethanol free 91 octane gas since ethanol blends can lead to failures in 2 stroke engines.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts