Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just booked a cabin in North Bay for the last week in January.We will be staying at the torbay cottages.Looking forward to it
Anyone else going to be in the area that week?

·
Registered
412 Posts
That sounds great! We're looking to go north for March break. Don't know if we'll need to go as far as North Bay to get some good riding in, though.

Where did you find out about the cottages?

Jacqui.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Let me know if your are planning to ride west to Sudbury, maybe we can meet somewhere.

"tie wrap it wide open"

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sounds like fun! Keep on snowmobiling!!

1989 Ski-Doo Formula MX 462LC
1973 Ski-Doo Olympic 340 Twin
1992 Chevrolet Lumina Euro 3.4L
1994 Pontiac Sunbird LE 3.1L

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We are going up for Jan 26,27 and the 28th.Right now there are six of us that are going to be staying at the cottage. I have never rode in upper ontario and from what people say I am really looking forward to it.Check out the cottage,it has a couple live webcam's of current conditions . www.torbay.net
[blue][/blue]

·
Registered
864 Posts
nortbay to Sudbury..? bout 1.5 hours on the hwy.
Been a few years since I've done it on a sled. buddy use to have a camp near Vernor. Have to try riding trough Martin river and go north a bit . I remeber we went North of North bay to Temiskiming and they due west. End up North of Caperol and down to Sudbury. Nice riding ..

When in Doubt, gas it

·
Registered
127 Posts
Polarisguy - the conditions should be good at that time of year. I have seen travel south to be a problem on occasion in a bad year. There are a number of good trail rides that I can suggest. I would like to hook up with you guys. What distance do your rides like to do in a day and how long. You said that you were riding Jan 26, 27, 28, are these full days. Like ready to ride at 9 AM? I can offer my shop for repairs or over night storage. Room for 40+ sleds and heated. My email is [email protected]

·
Registered
975 Posts
Me and about 10 other guys are heading up to N. Bay around that time. I don't know the date for sure yet but it's around then. Put up another reminder when it gets close to the date. Mark

·
Registered
40 Posts
polarisguy : you will like it in the North Bay area , especially to the north of the city towards Martin River . I rode 1200 miles up there last winter and loved every mile . Also if you are to the south west of North Bay in the Port Loring area there is lots of wildlife to see . As somebody said sometimes if the snow is thin it gets a bit poor in riding south of North Bay for a small area .

canadiantim2 : Are you involved in the Clubs in your area ? I want to buy a permit from that area from a small club that could use the extra sale , but as of yet haven't decided on which one , any suggestions ?

Science Hill Drifters Snowmobile Club
The home of Canada's largest snowmobiling links page !
Now with over 1300 links to North American snowmobile sites
http://www.sciencehilldrifters.com/links.htm
IndySKS

·
Registered
127 Posts
IndySKS: Yes we will be riding both in the Martin River and port loring area with the boys from down south. As to a club that needs the extra funding I would say the Port Loring Club would be a good choice. Let us know when you are up this way. Tim

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks Tim , Port loring it is ! I really like their trails and loved the sights and trails in the Indain reserve to the west of there . Dokis Reserve I belive it was called . We generally take our holidays the 3rd week of January and go for a week , the location will depend on where the best riding is , I have thought of the RAN tour or starting in North Bay and travelling around to Sudbury and Parry Sound and in that general area for this winter . Since my son lives in North Bay now we have an excuse to get there more often , it all depends on conditions
Thanks again and hope to see you this winter

IndySKS

·
Registered
127 Posts
IndySHS: Have you ever travelled North Bay to New Liskard? That is one nice trip. If you like to ride hard then Kirkland Lake is a full day. We have done both rides. During bad winters we trailer to Kirkland and ride that area. Our losgest trip has been, NB-Kirkland-Timminis-Sudbury-NB. This was a four day trip. Longest ride was Timminis to Sudbury. We came into the Sudbury area on a Sunday night and the trails were beaten. We ended up with the group getting split up. One sled had the clutch fall off just outside of Timminis along the side of the hyw, which made it easier. The chase truck brought us a spare sled and we were off. Later the clutch started to act up on the spare not allowing the sheaves to open. At ever road crossing you had to due laps till one of the buddies waved you on. If you stopped the engine died, and you would have to pry the sheeves apart and restart. I died 18 times coming into Sudbury. That was the longest day of sledding for me. Not interested in doing that one again.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
In February-March the trails are better than the highways. I ride on Mattagami river all winter, it's a nice place for a holiday. cheap, and fun.

If it ain't broke,
change stuf till it is.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
You can go anywere on the trails.

If it ain't broke,
change stuff till it is.

·
Registered
40 Posts
canadiantim2 : I have never actually rode from NB to New Liskard but have rode from both ways to Temagami and returned to where I started . We have a friend that has a cottage in Martin River area so I might be making use of that this winter . We used to go to New liskard every year and base our trips from there but I have rode those trails so much they are getting boring ...I like to explore. As a matter of fact I know the trails better in that area than I do on my own clubs trail in some areas. The longest I have rode in one day is 253 miles , Gogama to Sudbury and back up to Latchford , there was 11 of us and not one sled had a problem .

I have narrowed my permit choice down to either The Near North Snowdrifters in South River or the Bonfield Snowmobile Club in Bonfield or maybe the Mattawa & area Snowmobile Club in Mattawa , they look to be the 3 needyest clubs where I rode . Have you got any preferences amoung that list . Port Loring club already sells a lot of passes. I know I put way too much thought in to this !!

IndySKS

·
Registered
36 Posts
we rode from the huskie truck stop in north bay to sudbury last year it was just over 100 miles. word of advice get gas at all stops. oh ya its not cheap last year we paid a buck a liter for fuel before it went up

P H R

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow,looks like i am in for a treat :) I am really looking forward to it.This fluctuating in the weather is really stressing me out.I am waiting so patiently for that first ride,it,s driving me nuts !!!!!!!!!!!!
Right now there is six in our group but i am pretty sure that is going to increase.I am definately bringing my digital camera for this one.When the date gets closer i will post again :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts