Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just swapped to a 136" with 1.5" lugs. I was wondering what I should do about my gearing, or clutching. The sled is a 1999 xc 500 and it seems to have good power if I punch it from a stand still and get the track spinning but if I'm just putzing around at like 10mph and hammer on it, the thing is really sluggish. Do I need clutch work or would gearing take care of it. I also have a 19T gear laying around, but I think I would need a new chain if i were to put it on. My stock gear is a 22T. How would I know what chain I needed and where to find one? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dtmmil said:
What is your stock gearing, is that whats in it now? And what do you have for a clutch setup?
not exactly sure about the bottom gear, but i have a stock 22 on top. as for the clutch, all i know is they are stock weights and the spring is blue. I dont know a lot about clutches and weights.

· Registered
2,324 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's a 41 tooth on the bottom.

· Registered
842 Posts
IMO, a 136 X 1.5 is a lot for any 500 to be turning without re-gearing.

Someone on here had a formula to figure out chain pitch, depending on gearing,
hopefully they will re-post the info.

· Registered
3,334 Posts
i agree track is a bit much but gearing and clutching would make it alright

· Registered
2,324 Posts
That sled has a 7.05 chaincase, and 19x41 gearing is not recommended. If you use the 19 tooth top gear, you can run 19x 39 or 19x40 for a 2.05 or 2.11 gear ratio respectively. Those two combinations require the use of a 68 pitch chain. You can run 21x41 with your existing chain for a gear ratio of 1.95. The gear ratio you are currently running is 1.86.

· Registered
2,324 Posts
I'm pulling those numbers off of the chart in the Polaris Service Manual. The reason it's not recommended is probably because too small a gear on top, and too large on the bottom makes a pretty drastic dogleg in the chain.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rubi said:
I'm pulling those numbers off of the chart in the Polaris Service Manual. The reason it's not recommended is probably because too small a gear on top, and too large on the bottom makes a pretty drastic dogleg in the chain.
thanks for your help, what exactly is chain pitch? Length? or is there more to it than that?

· Registered
4,547 Posts
When you look for a chain and gears you will need a 68 pitch hyvo chain(length, or how many links), 3/4 width and 3/4 wide hyvo gears. I just saw some on ebay the other day, there is generally some there, or ask here, someone may have some for you.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well I'm gonna go pick up a 21 tooth and a 39 tooth gear tomorrow. I already have a 22, 19, and a 41. I'm gonna try 21/41 and 19/39. the only thing I was thinking, aren't I gonna have to reclutch with the different gears? and if anyone knows, do I need heavier weights or lighter weights? what about primary spring? anymore help would be great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.