Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a parts sled in the local trader and I always like to have extra parts so I went to take a look. The sled was a 95 XLT 600. He said it ran but had issues. Me and my buddy started looking this thing over and wow it was cobbled so bad I had to laugh. The first thing i noticed was he had chopped off the silencer and welded an import car muffler on the end. Welded a plate on the end of the muffler torched a hole in the bottom and welded a piece of black pipe going down out of the bellypan. Both trailing arms were broken and welded back together. He had homemade drop brackets on the rear skid made out of 1/16th" thick aluminum and held on to the tunnel by one 3/8ths bolt! YIKES! The great thing was the track tho. Stock polaris track with tons of torn lugs and studs. Now the studs were 1 1/2" long and the backers were on upside down! He had no airbox, the choke cables were broken, homemade riser built out of who knows what and the motor knocked something fierce. The only thing useable was the seat and windshield which were new. Whats great was how proud he was of his "mods".

I wish I could have taken pictures to post up but didnt. (to busy shaking my head)[:D]

· Registered
2,957 Posts
Worthless without pics.

Don't you know fart cans on triples are good for 65+ HP. It's in the dumbass' handbook.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now that you mention it, it did have a monster sticker on the windshield! I say the fart can is good for at least 50 hp. It was funny cause i mentioned something about the import can and he said "ya i like all my stuff to be loud"... I just chuckled to myself.

· Registered
453 Posts
This reminds me of a vintage ride I went on last year. This kid was riding a '78(?) Jag that was pretty cobbled. His throttle was rigged to his brake control and to brake he pulled on the choke cable which was either rigged to the brake or he pulled it to kill the engine enough to slow down. His seat was a piece of foam held down by a strap. He had no hood and his muffler was cracked. He did mention that him and his buddies spent all night getting it running! I had to take a picture:

Snowmobile Vehicle Snow Winter sport Sled

[beatup]

· Registered
1,523 Posts
RAMROD said:
sledcrusher said:
Worthless without pics.

Don't you know fart cans on triples are good for 65+ HP. It's in the dumbass' handbook.
So you have a copy? or did you author it?
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwPLQ43JVYU

· Registered
1,716 Posts
TheFastMan said:
This reminds me of a vintage ride I went on last year. This kid was riding a '78(?) Jag that was pretty cobbled. His throttle was rigged to his brake control and to brake he pulled on the choke cable which was either rigged to the brake or he pulled it to kill the engine enough to slow down. His seat was a piece of foam held down by a strap. He had no hood and his muffler was cracked. He did mention that him and his buddies spent all night getting it running! I had to take a picture:

[beatup]
I think thats cool! I don't see anything wrong with that. The kid looks to about 12-13ish and he managed to get an old ass sled running enough to ride it. God knows I've been through that stage where I've wanted to ride so bad that I would cobble anything together. It truley does make one a better mechanic in the long run if you start out fixing absolute junk rather than mom and dad buying a decent sled for you.

But, now if you're older than 25 and still doing this kind of botchery like the OP posted, then you need to look into a career inside of a cubicle and sell the welder and torch.

· Registered
1,878 Posts
TheFastMan said:

[beatup]
It may be funny to some of us, but he's got a trophy in his hand and a smile on his face...that's all that counts when you're that young. How many kids that age actually have the ambition to work on a vintage anything?[:D]

· Registered
453 Posts
It was a vintage trail ride and of the probably 30 sleds that went out, only about half made it back and he was one of them! It is cool really, it was just really funny to see. He was there with a some friends and all their sleds looked about the same. They showed up at the races the day before and raced an old Chaparral, Moto-Ski, and Ski-Whiz. Those "barn yard races" (as we called them) were better than any sno-cross I've ever seen! In the 440 class with the Ski-Whiz, the kid didn't have a recoil so he wrapped the cord and pulled it. It kept dying so everyone was sitting there for like 5min while he kept screwing with it. He finally got it going and the crowd went wild![ricky]

· Registered
2,017 Posts
butcher_boy said:
TheFastMan said:

[beatup]
I think thats cool! I don't see anything wrong with that. The kid looks to about 12-13ish and he managed to get an old ass sled running enough to ride it. God knows I've been through that stage where I've wanted to ride so bad that I would cobble anything together. It truley does make one a better mechanic in the long run if you start out fixing absolute junk rather than mom and dad buying a decent sled for you.

But, now if you're older than 25 and still doing this kind of botchery like the OP posted, then you need to look into a career inside of a cubicle and sell the welder and torch.
I'll agree with you to a point, but when you start jerry rigging your throttle to your brake lever and use the engine choke as a brake it gets to a point where it's stupidly unsafe. I wouldn't let my 12 year old ride something like that.

· Registered
453 Posts
He was a bit older than 12. All the jerry rigging made it harder for him to control the thing, but at the speeds we were going it wasn't out of control. Anyway, it is nice to see kids interested in old sleds![thumb]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.