Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Text[/font=Comic Sans MS]Text[/size=5] ALRIGHT... im new to this but it looks fun and u guys look like a bunch of sled crazed ****** just like me... i bought a 91 polaris indy lite 340 for 150bucks.... not bad.. need track only... rest is perfect to my eye!
im wondering how to get that blooody thing off.. (track) i dont like to have people do things for me so i do them myself (im a rambunctious little 16 yr old)
i have owned 1 other sled... 1972 Chapparell Firebird 400.. with a spring bogie rear suspension and leaf spring front.... bad clutch and a stuck throttle... i loved it to death... and i beat it there too! if ya dont mind maybe you could help me find a place to get a manual for the polaris so i can make this baby roll for winter !!! im gonna ride it for a year and sell it for a newer one... mayber after a few years of finding good deals i can get me a new sleddy! woo hoo a 500 rmk would suit me nice... i can climb trees with it!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Clymer is a Company that makes manuals for different makes and models so you might want to take a look there. Not sure if they are on the web or not but i know Dennis Kirk sells them and so does J R Graham. hope that will help a little.

·
Registered
105 Posts
First, I'm glad to see ya here. Second, my cousin has a sled that is quite close to your polaris, if it is not identical. his could be a '90, but the removal of the track must be close too! Maybe he could tell ya a bout it from experience...that is, if you cant find a manual.

It's not fair to give only a tiny bit, weatherman, gotta have more now!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well heres the long and the short of it. you should have 4 bolts holding the skid-frame into the tunnel. Remove those 4 bolts (2 on each side) and then you should be able to remove the suspension from inside the track. Now you will just have the track hanging from the drive shaft. You will need to remove chaincase cover and take off the gears. On the other side you will probably need to pull the secondary clutch off to gain access to the driveshaft bearing/speedo housing. There will probably be 3 bolts holding this assembly on. Now back over to the chain case side there may be a locking collar or something else holding the drive shaft in. After the shaft is loose enough to slide, push it twards the clutch side of the sled until it is out of the chain case bearing. Tip it down and slide back out the other way. This will be the last thing holding the track into the sled, once removed reverse procedure to re-install. One other tip is to get a tree or rafter in a garage to tie the rear end of the sled to. When i changed a track last i tied the rear of the sled up in the air at least 5 feet. Makes it a whole lot easier to work on.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
one pice of advice i can give from an encounter last year, lock your front and rear track shocks down, i used rope. makes puttin the susp. back in a bit easier

1 - 7 of 7 Posts