Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
saw a pair on craings list and what would be some advantages to taking the airbox off and installing these...also how hard is it to take the stock air box off and put them on?what size are my carbs, they are stock. Help is very appreciated

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/rvs/2075069347.html

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
i was really hot on getting a set of them for a while, then someone told me you have trouble with snow and moisture plugging them up, and as with any k&n the filter is more open allowing more air, while also allowing bigger dirt particles into your engine

airbox should come off no problem, not sure what stock carbs are on your sled

·
Registered
308 Posts
I did away with the air box on mine and ordered 2 custom K and N air filters for my F7 and I love it. I dont know about your flanges but mine were 2 3/4, and as far as clogging goes K and N offers a "snow charger" which is like a thin cloth wrap around your air filter, they are water proof and washable. I elimated about 5 pounds when i swapped them too [thumb] I would definately recomend it. Each filter ran me 50 dollars.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I thought about doing this as well and almost did, but you only get the weight advantage which isn't worth it, because you lose power if you don't have the stock airbox sucking the cool outside air in where the box runs to a vent on the hood usually, with the single pods you are sucking in the warm air or less air in this case cuz you don't have the air vent placed anywhere near the carbs!
there are better things you can spend your money on

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
SconsinSnowridder27 said:
I thought about doing this as well and almost did, but you only get the weight advantage which isn't worth it, because you lose power if you don't have the stock airbox sucking the cool outside air in where the box runs to a vent on the hood usually, with the single pods you are sucking in the warm air or less air in this case cuz you don't have the air vent placed anywhere near the carbs!
i have heard that also, when you go over 50 under the hood is "pressurized" and sucks in warmer air, messing with your jetting, mine has a sticker right on the airbox that says do not operate over 40 with the airbox/hood foam removed or engine failure wil result ofcourse they probably all do, but its there for a reason

·
Registered
276 Posts
Bad idea, fusions love cold air. If anything get the SLP air horn for about $50, you can probably find a better deal somewhere else too. If you look where your hood lays on the foam on top of the stock air box, only about half of the intake from the hood goes into the air box, the other half is mixing with warm under hood air. The air horn directs all the air straight into the air box and also you gut the air box with the kit so you are gaining a ton more air flow right there.

Or, simply gut the stock air box and call it a day, see if you notice any difference, and if not its as simple as popping the air box back open and putting the shelf/foam assembly back in.

·
Registered
258 Posts
SconsinSnowridder27 said:
I 2nd that! Right on the money[thumb] You will loose power, and be sucking warm air all day long.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i just installed my SLP air horn it all makes sense it is allowing cold air to flow way better:) and i also installed the SLP vent kit by my skies. its in the plastic by your clutch to cool the belt off! and on the other side also :)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright ill think about the air horn...doesnt it go into the headlight console though

·
Registered
308 Posts
I guess it all depends on your sleds setup too, I still have the air force induction on mine sending cold air directly to the filters and I also have installed a Fast EGT gauge just in case and it seems to be fine, I don't know the Fusion set up at all though, I was just offering my expirience with the subject.

·
Registered
123 Posts
it is right where the old air filter went. only this directs the air right into the air box! so no hot air gets into it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts