Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious if anyone has any knowledge of using aftermarket air filters. I have a 2002 700 RMK and I've heard of people gutting the air box. And I could somewhat see that the air has to make so many turns before it get to the carbs. Would K & N air filters be that much improvement? Does a person need to rejet? I'm just looking to get the most out of my sled. And plan on doing other upgrades also, pipes, reeds, clutch.

·
Registered
837 Posts
DOes a person need to rejet? LOL well i did, i put k&n on my 96 mxz 583 and i had to jet up 100 sizes, i went from 250 260 to 350 360 jets, they seem to help a little but it was such a main to get the jetting right i had to install egt gauges to help me, becase it change so much

·
Registered
243 Posts
You're airflow will increas significantly and you will gain HP! Some times people like the gains they can feel better though like clutching. You get the seat of the pants gain with good clutching.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Mattgross, 10 jet sizes for using pod filters?
Come on that is a min of a 38% increase in fuel flow.
Were there other factors involved like tempurature when you rejetted?
The air box serves several purposes harmonics and such to increase the efficiency of the burn in the motor. Did you get a real seat of the pants change in power or are you just burning more fuel?
The EGT's were a good idea though.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You will want to make sure you get the snow filters for them and remember that usually if you not moving you are sucking hot air instead of cold air. I know some guys who took them off thier sleds because the cold air flow was poor. i did not have a problem. I ran them last year on my wife's old sled. I would call the differnce noticable but not a big improvement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts