Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with a k&n filter charger set-up? More specifically how tough would it be from a re-jetting point of veiw. I know factory air boxes are restrictive so any improvement in air flow would enhance performance and gas mileage(unlees you have a heavy thumb). Would there be a need to re-clutch as well? Its a summer project idea, so any input would be great.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
if this is your trail sled please do not put on them filters. the air box is restrictive but it brings in clean cold air, and helps hold the carbs in place. the engine is also tunned to the air box, you might not gain any hp. if you run them filters on a hard rough trail you have a good chance of your carbs falling off, you are also sucking in the hot air from behind the engine instead of cold outside air. also lets say you ride all day and spend the day rejetting to get a new base line, that new baseline was done with warm air going into the engine, now the next day you start out hard and before the underhood temps get to the point they were that you set jetting to you could score down. these are not a trail setup product. anything you do if you think you gained hp it should show up on your tach. if you gained hp your rpms should raise at wide open throttle. because your clutching is set to spin 150hp at 8500, now if you gain 5 hp, the clutching is to light and the engine will rev.

·
Registered
66 Posts
ya man liston to Madcow. I agree do not use the K&N Filters...They work great on my Motorcycle but not a Snowmobile with changing temps. and altitude..[8D]

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Good advice Madcow. I never thought about the airbox holding the carbs in place. Now that I think of some of the crappy trails I have ridden and how I felt riding them I can just see those carbs bouncing up and down in their boots.

·
Registered
324 Posts
snow stuff makes a great breather for cats. it mounts where you tool box is located. I believe you can get them through Dennis kirk or D&D racing

·
Registered
749 Posts
well i hope he gets the hint after 5 people say the same thing. LEAVE IT ALONE. I have seen someone do this. NO AIRBOX + SNOW= MELTDOWN.

·
Registered
749 Posts
oh and hasn't anyone told you that cold air works better than warm air. You could actually lose 1-5 horespower from that big triple.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the opinions. I checked out that breather cap from D&D, looks good. nice fit & finish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts