Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, could i put K & N filters on my 500? What are the pros and cons

·
Registered
278 Posts
A couple of the draw backs are:
You are pulling in the hotter temp air from under the hood.
From what I've heard powder riding can cause the filters to get wet reducing the flow.
I'd check out some of the high flow air boxes on the market, I believe SLP sells them for various sleds.

RtkatZL8

·
Registered
71 Posts
The pros are extra power! the negatives are you need to retune the sled unless its EFI.
The test!
EFI-remove your air filter and go for a short ride. If you feal the extra power than installing a K$N will help.
carbs- remove air filters and go for a short ride, You may need to adjust(richen) the carbs as the air flow rate will have changed.
If you add a high flow air filter to a carb equipt sled it can cause a lean burn condition from lack of fuel!
More air + more fuel = more power
more air= lean burn
more fuel= rich mixer
EFI adjusts itself- carbs dont!

91 polaris indy 650rxl

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I didn't even know they made K+N filters for sleds.....I guess it makes sence.

2002 Arctic Cat ZR 800 EFI

founding member of the Arctic Cat Mind Control Team......you will believe!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I modified an Amsoil maximum performance filter to work on my sled! $20 It covers all three TB with a dual stage filter element!
I also used the meterial on my 24cc mosquito DX folding scooter! The best raceing pits vehicle ever made. It fits in the back seat.

91 polaris indy 650 RXL EFI

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
http://www.knpowersports.com/docs/snowmobile_filters.html

just for those who didn't know about K&N filters on sleds. Only sleds I have ever seen with them were race sleds. Drag race / snocross. Doesn't mean you can't I was think about it. But I decided I didn't want to be sucking in hot underhood air.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts