Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this look like a decent deal? Of course I am going to start out at $400 and see what they say. I have not researched sled trailers for very long, but the ones that I looked at for under $500 were are all early 90's and pieces of Sh*t. It looks like they go for between $800 and $1000 new (Correct me if I'm Wrong).

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/for/1682946705.html

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
It's steel which sucks because of corrosion due to all the salt and BS it'll see, but hey 4 or 5 hundred, I'd say go for it. It's a new enough trailer that if you do your part in trying to keep the elements off of it after each use, it should last a while. The good thing I can say about steel is that it doesn't take an expert welder to work on for ya. Also, for some reason, he's saying he has 4 tie-downs? Well, if that's the case, you're getting two extra which is also cool.

Good luck

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks sledneck, I talked to him and he just sold it. Well, I will keep those pointers in mind regarding galvanized or aluminum trailers. More costly, but you will only have to replace the deck and tires. Anyone have any luck with the salt shields in the front? I also suppose I should put mats down since I will stud the tracks this summer. Any other good pointers for a first time trailer buyer?

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
If you end up buying a tilt bed I'd go with some ski guides. You can by them (spendy) or go to a place that sprays in truck bedliners and cut them out of an old plastic one. They'll probably give you one for next to nothin. That'll prevent you from getting stuck halfway up your trailer bed and then having to yank your sled back off and getting another run at it. Matting is good idea not only for protecting you plywood, but for traction. I don't have a tilt but I bought some traction pad things from shadetree powersports and screwed them down. If you find a trailer with a V-nose I'd spend the extra money for the metal salt shields that flip down so you can drive off your trailer. Mine were a tad over 500 and are karavan.

I just looked through my pics and I don't have any of my trailer...I wanted you to see what I meant about the ski guides. Next time I'm by my trailer I'll get you pic.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That makes sense. Thanks for the advice. Looks like I will have a little bit of a summer time project. Sounds like you have a good setup. Which is quicker loading and unloading a drive on/off or a tilt. I have only used my buddies tilt trailer once. Most the time I load my sled in my truck which sucks.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
If your trailer has a long enough tongue to where you don't need to jacknife your vehicle to get your sleds off than a drive on/off for sure. Otherwise, 6 in one, half dozen in the other IMO.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I have the same trailer. a few years older. It pulls great and is holing up well. Even if you have to pay the 500.00 I would say it is well worth it. Just clean it up after those salty trips and it will last a long time. The lighta are nice on it. Have had no troubles with the lights!
200855212626719_14169.jpg

I installed the lift arm. Good investment. Sure makes loading much more easy!
20085521277594_14169.jpg

20085513142778_14169.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
^That lift arm is a must with a tilt when you're by yourself....Good point trick. I used to have tilt and I can remember trying to keep it tipped back with one foot and stretching as much as I could to try to grab the gas to run the sled up the trailer. Not only a pain in the butt, but dangerous too.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advise trick. I always seem to have better luck finding what I want in the off season for a lot cheaper. Looks like I will get a tilt or drive on/off, which ever is priced right. I will keep you guys updated on my search. Nothing on Craigslist looks too appealing right now.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Hey man, hold out for the right deal. I stole a galvanized 101" trailer last year for $250. Thing was used for 4 wheelers and kept under cover for the winters. I'm pretty sure it's the original decking, just had to do some rewiring and I was golden.

Off-season deals are the BEST. More will pop up over the Summer.

·
Registered
870 Posts
It looks short... some trailers are and the sled's skis hang over badly and a 2up would be even worse. No room for a salt shield if you ever want to add one. You may want to ask for measurements.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
KingPrat said:
Hey man, hold out for the right deal. I stole a galvanized 101" trailer last year for $250. Thing was used for 4 wheelers and kept under cover for the winters. I'm pretty sure it's the original decking, just had to do some rewiring and I was golden.

True...I found one in 08' for my dad that was purchased new (was a 01' yacht club) with tie downs and and a spare for 400. All he had to do was rewire it. They sold a rewire kit at northern tool for like 40 bucks if I remember right. That wasn't aluminum but it was galvanized. Now that I say that, make sure you're factoring those items into cost (especially if the trailer you find doesn't have them) like spare, tongue jack, and the wiring. If it doesn't have a spare or a jack you'll be adding 100 bucks to your price in a hurry. A jack doesn't seem like something you'd absoulutely need but whenever you cut your trailer loose with the sleds on it, it's nice as hell to have.

Jerkyking said:
It looks short... some trailers are and the sled's skis hang over badly and a 2up would be even worse. No room for a salt shield if you ever want to add one. You may want to ask for measurements.
Also a big deal. You may already be aware of this too but if not, make sure you're buying an 8x10, not an 8x8. 8X8 your sleds will hang off the back about a foot.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Sorry to disagree with you sledneck but he should buy the 102" bed by 10ft. Depending on the width of the 2 sleds on the deck he could have problems. I know I do on my 8 footer.

For traction on the deck, he could us a 3-4 ft pc of old track (suggested on the forum before). Dealers will give you ripped up tracks at no cost. Or he could put a pad on like Trick has. One caveat to the track idea, if you have no reverse, it is a good deal harder to pull your sled off.

A salt gaurd is a good investment. They are not perfect. I still cover my sleds as the shield keeps the hood clean but not the windshield.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all your suggestions and help. I went to look at one today, but it was a piece of sh*t. I am still on the hunt. For future reference I have found just as many trailers spelled trailer as trailor on craigslist. Just an idea if anybody is shopping for one.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Great idea. My brother in law got a great deal on some Collett communicators because he mispelled communicator and so did the seller.

1,792 Posts
sledneck1978 said:
It's steel which sucks because of corrosion due to all the salt and BS it'll see, but hey 4 or 5 hundred, I'd say go for it. It's a new enough trailer that if you do your part in trying to keep the elements off of it after each use, it should last a while.

Good luck
If he's motivated, POR-15 it and repaint and it'll prob. never rust out. I just got done doing the same thing to a steel trailer this winter that I'll build a enclosed cover for to haul sled next winter.

picman said:
For traction on the deck, he could us a 3-4 ft pc of old track (suggested on the forum before). Dealers will give you ripped up tracks at no cost. Or he could put a pad on like Trick has. One caveat to the track idea, if you have no reverse, it is a good deal harder to pull your sled off.
Easy fix, take along a furnature dolly to slide your sled off. Don't use those tiny track dollies that are the same size as ski dollies.

Also, if you got the money, get an enclosed 10ft trailer instead. Around $1400 will buy a really nice one even in the middle of winter when they're in highest demand.

1,792 Posts
KingPrat said:

This past winter, someone stole an aluminum 10' enclosed trailer early 90's vintage for $600 (appeared in pretty good shape) on ebay. If it wasn't a 2 1/2 hr drive for me, I would've thrown in some serious bidding on it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
i picked up a 5 year old aluminum trailer for 500$ this past year it was advertised as a ATV trailer but when i looked at the picture i knew it wasn't. 500$ for a trailer in great condition but it had no jack, tiedowns, or spare. made some tiedowns from work, took a jack off an older trailer from work we were throwing out. still need a spare.

got 2 junk tracks off craigslist for free. got 2 55gal drums from work made out of plastic that i'm going to make into a salt sheild. just keep your eyes open and you'll find what your looking for.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts