Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 39mm Keihin carbs on my sled and have taken them off & cleaned them and have heard about using a drill bit to set the slides. I found some threads talking of this procedure, but what size bit, and just how do you do it? I tried the finger method & found that I had 1 carb opening well before the other. Is there a trick to adjusting them? I have a service manual on order, but don't expect it for a week. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
for synching them if there is a tiny bit of slack at the throttle lever, then one is correct. the one opening late just needs to have the bolt that the throttle goes into lenghtend.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I adjusted the cables to where both slides open at the same time, but the idle is really high (2500). Do you use the idle screw to adjust the idle before you tinker with the air screw?? What exactly does the drill bit method do & how?
Thanks

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
forget the drill method. now you have the carbs synced just lower the big idle screws out a bit. only adjust idle on a warm engine after you go for a ride.
dealers use the drill method to quickly adjust the carbs. one size for sync and one size for idle. its fast and makes them money but can be very inaccurate. feeling and looking at the carbs will get you close enough for good performance.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great, Thanks for your help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts