Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I picked up my boys 1st sled this weekend.. 1972 kitty cat 400.00 but it was worth the smile on their faces. Now to find a 2nd one so they dont fight over it. They have a few years im sure as they are only 1 but I did enjoy playing with it in the shop.

Any thing to look at when keeping these lil machines running. Im thinking a bunch of parts will be nice to have on hand so I can keep them running.

Oil to run?
I was told run premium fuel only.

Any issues to watch for etc.

Every bit of information will be helpful.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Thats awesome! They will love it as my boys do.

87 octane is just fine, and I run 40:1 mixture with the oil I put in my sled, Amsoil. I don't think it makes a big difference on the oil, just use what you put in your sled.

200912216342858_11131.jpg
And when they get use to the sled, you can modify the governor to go faster, and it is no harm to the motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Tthats awesome ,I cant wait to buy one for my son, hes only 6 1/2 months but I dont care I still want to buy one , but theyre so pricy, I really want to find a junker and completely restore it .

Winks84 said:
Tthats awesome ,I cant wait to buy one for my son, hes only 6 1/2 months but I dont care I still want to buy one , but theyre so pricy, I really want to find a junker and completely restore it .

·
Registered
450 Posts
The carbs on these things are not too picky, but make sure each screw holds in place. Ours had a loose mixture screw and would seat itself from the motor vibration within a minute. And the rubber gasket on the shut off valve on the bottom of the tank on ours rotted out and would fall out whenever it was started. But then again, ours sat for a few years. Parts for these things are expensive, so save what you can. Just make sure all of the fuel carrying rubber is in good condition. Those little sleds have plenty of power for there size, but they get stuck SO easily. make sure a path is run down first, or just use it in shallow snow, they have wheels, no hyfax, so you can run it in minimal snow without problems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have to boys and have been looking for one also. They are too much!! $600, $700, $800!
Thats nuts.
I may wait for a z120 but they are alot too!
You can pick up a full siz sled 340 for 400-500 bucks.

Supply and Demand I guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts