Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Some of you who have been around here all summer were kept aprised of my construction of a kids toboggan to pull behind my sled.

After receiving an email from TR - 2001 ZR800 in response to my reply on his "best kids sled" topic, I posted a quick "how it was made" on my website in answer to TR's questions about it's construction.

Here is the link to that page if anyone else would like to undertake this fun little project. Design and materials selection is always the hardest part of any DIY project, so here is a little head start.

http://www.digitalportraitstudios.com/sled/toboggan

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Updates on the toboggans completion will be coming later.

Kevin

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
It looks great, that should be helpful to some people...

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Registered
134 Posts
thats sweeet...u thought of that all one your own??...my dad built sumthing similar...but the bottom was two runners and we used it for ice fishing...got to damn heavy so we bought a big plastic sled works great...we sold the one my dad built cause we put an axle on it aqnd made it into a trailer for a 4 wheeler

Duct tape the only real solution

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No....sorry I can't take all the credit, it is loosely based on anouther similar toboggan that i saw, I improved upon his design by quite a bit.
His was not collapsable and required almost as much room on his trailer as anouther sled, plus it had no backrests or seatbelts, and a very crude and rough looking hitch.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Advertising, I guess I"ll have to ban this foo...

Looks good man!

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Hmmm, I wonder if there would be any way to add some sort of platform on the back of that to stand on. You know like a regular dogsled you tow behind a snowmobile. That way it could be used for kids, and ice fishing. Anytime we go ice fishing, someone always rides on the back of the dogsled when you go out to check the traps.

Just kind of thinking out loud.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Advertising what???
This is my first and last home-built toboggan.
I wish someone had posted something like this 6 months ago,
when I was looking for designs.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just bumping this to the top in case someone wants to build one of these.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's pretty nice for homemade. I used to build mine using old cross country skis and plywood. Finally bough an Otter sled with a hitch though. You can get all kinds of options too.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it's about 70 pounds or so.
It pulls great, 500 doesn't even know it's there...needs some runners to keep it tracking better around corners.
It's a bit rough w/o any springs or suspension to speak of on bumpy terraine.
It also floats throw the pow beautifully, even with 4 kids in it!
Like to get one with springs or find a way to mount some on this one...can see getting the time though.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Thats really cool,I bet it was alot cheaper then buying one of those factory ones..

·
Super Moderator
11,651 Posts
That's cool. Wish my dad woulda known about that when I was a kid...instead i got drug around on the little plastic sleds hooked to the back of our '77 Massey Ferguson. Man that was a blast, hurt like a MoFo when we got done tho.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Good Job! U were using the head that day!

·
Registered
131 Posts
man...i bet you could come up with a hub to put in the front that attaches to the tongue of the trailer, and then put one ski under the front and two in the back. that way every time you turn, the tongue turns the ski to follow you. Maybe even setup linkage so you could have two turning skis in the front. know what i mean?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey, kinda like that idea...but the hitch is solid now, but moves up and down independant of the sled, so there is no actual tounge weight,
That front hub & steering ski idea sounds kinda complicated, and a little tippy.
I've thought about 2 really long skis with only 1 set of leafs and even shocks, then making the hitch fully solid to the toboggan and there will be
weight put on the hitch of the sled.
It would end up just being a longer version of the Polaris cutter.
Something like these...
http://trailriderusa.com/discovery_sleigh.html
It's just hard finding old leaf skis, not to mention long ones from a toboggan.

·
Registered
131 Posts
if you want, i got 2 old kawasaki's with leaf's on the front. One is a parts sled for the other. If you shoot me your address i will see how much to ship. [email protected]

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm in Regina, Sask. Canada...not sure it would be worth it,
but man...I sure do appreciate the offer though.
That would be quite a tug from Illinois for a couple skis.

·
Registered
131 Posts
no problemo...im really trying to get rid of these kawasakis completely...let me know if you change your mind...i'll be happy to pack them up! [8D]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts