Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i have a 77 440 Yamaha Exciter STX and the kill switch has gone. it will only run if i diconnect the black / wht stripe wire from the CDI. Is this as easy as changing the kill switch on my handle bars or is it something bigger? I have no wires on my car nor do i have any sensors on a sled this old.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
possibly shorted wire ,but if you use your kill to shut it off normally like the key would then they tend to wear out and break.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
test it with a multi meter, most have a flow tester the will sound an alarm if there is a completed circuit, hook that up and open and close the switch and see if you get an alarm if you dont it is the switch or a short, to test for a short i beleive you touch one to the frame and the other to the plugin and cycle the switch a few times then try the other conection and cycle the switch again, if you get an alarm then there is a short, also make sure whereever you touch the frame that its is clean and making good contact, to test your making good contact touch both to the frame in seperate places and you should get an alarm

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
k...so i checked the switch on my handle bars and it is still go.....now my question is the kill switch wire, where does it lead to it goes from the cdi and then where?.....because all my switches are good and i tried to trace that wire and it seems to go no where that i can find.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
not familiar with these sleds but i think its a common thing between all of them, the kill basically grounds out the ignition cutting out all spark, so my guess is it probably goes to the frame.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There are only two things that usually go wrong the kill switch or the key switch. Test both....i have had the same problem before and it ended up being the key switch

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
just elminate it, and run with the kil till it breaks, or just wire in and ignition switch, i assume on a sled that old all the key does is break the circuit, just put in an on off switch or something, thats what i would do anyway, 3 of our sleds have had the keys busted off in the switch and we just leave them on all the time and just use the kill switch

like on poo sleds they run a broken current to shut the sled off, so if you ever want to steel one and you dont have the key, just open the hood and unplg the ignition switch, not that i am implying or recomending anything

·
Registered
45 Posts
key switches back then were pretty basic sometimes you can go to an autoparts store and find a switch with the same amount of terminals and just switch the connentors

1 - 10 of 10 Posts