Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The recent post about broken pull cords got me questioning what I would do if I was in the middle of nowhere and mine broke. What do you do? Are there things like spare cords, etc you should always bring with you when sledding?

1997 ZRT800

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Yes, that's exactly it. Use a strap, or even what's left of the broken pull cord and wrap around your primary clutch (like an old boat motor) and hopefully it'll be enough to start it. I've even seen people take their foot, and kick spin the clutch as fast as you can, and it started. Not very safe though. You could even use a shoe string on your boots.

Let it snow!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Most sleds come with there own kit, or you could buys one. They usually have a spark plug wrench etc. Mine came with an emergincy cord that is a string with a plastic clip on the end that you slid onto the clutch. you just wind it up and pull. I also carry a syphon (spellchk) its a hose with a ball on it that you squeeze to get pressure. Its incase you run out of gas, you can borrow enough to get to a station.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow - I do feel kinda dumb... I didn't even think of wrapping a cord around the clutch to get it started. I am going to try it just for kicks. If I can't do it in the comfort of my own home, I won't be about to do it when I am freezing my butt off in the middle of f#$%^&* no where!!!
thanks!

1997 ZRT800

·
Registered
278 Posts
I never really thought about it either until I bought my new sled last year. It came with a piece of flat nylon strapping about 3/4" wide 3' long and a plastic handle.
Pretty simple pull starter in a pinch.

2001 ZL800
Delta IIs
Power Breather
MBRP Silencer
Coupling Kit
Goodwin Clutch Kit

Creek beds don't make good brakes!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Catinator, Your '97 Cat came with a flat nylon strap with a handle on the end and instructions in the owners manual. Did you get this sled used? Or, did they forget it in dealer prep?All my Cats back to at least '92 all had one.They also came with throttle override plugs, a necessity on a Cat when the safety sys. fails.Check it out with your dealer.

Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

·
Registered
266 Posts
Oh Ya, And don't forget a tow rope

Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes - I got the sled used (at an Arctic Cat Dealer), with no manual, no cord, nothing but a spare belt. I'll have to ask them about getting me the strap and the throttle override plugs (whatever they are :) ).

1997 ZRT800

·
Registered
266 Posts
Arctic Cat has a system that detects a frozen throttle condition and stutters the ignition so you don't go off the trail at full bore{OUCH}. The problem lies when this system malfunctions and your ignition stutters when nothing is frozen. When this happens you must override it to get home, and that is what the plug does. Some Cats like my EFI don't use a plug. You just unplug the kill wires and away you go. I'm not sure which way your ZRT is , but your dealer will hook you up!

Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by spaceman17:

Arctic Cat has a system that detects a frozen throttle condition and stutters the ignition so you don't go off the trail at full bore{OUCH}. The problem lies when this system malfunctions and your ignition stutters when nothing is frozen. When this happens you must override it to get home, and that is what the plug does. Some Cats like my EFI don't use a plug. You just unplug the kill wires and away you go. I'm not sure which way your ZRT is , but your dealer will hook you up!

Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio[/quote]

Hey, thanks. I will ask them about it - I would much rather have the thing stutter than hit something at 100+ mph!! BTW, nice to see someone my age (I was feeling like I was the old fart of the forum), and similar hobbies :) to some degree anyway... haha

1997 ZRT800

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Catinator:

Wow - I do feel kinda dumb... I didn't even think of wrapping a cord around the clutch to get it started. I am going to try it just for kicks. If I can't do it in the comfort of my own home, I won't be about to do it when I am freezing my butt off in the middle of f#$%^&* no where!!!
thanks!

1997 ZRT800[/quote]

Don't get cartied away to much, there not ment to be used every time...

Glad I could finally be of some help around here!

GO HARD, OR GO HOME

1 - 11 of 11 Posts