Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys. im new here and in a bit of a bind. iv'e got an 89 650 wild cat i parked it for a couple of years because i hurt my back. problem is it starts first or second pull and idles just fine but as soon as i touch the throttle it bogs badly and hardly pulls itself along. if i feather the throttle it barely goes above an idle.it doesnt seem to be popping or backfiring at all. ive changed the fuel cleaned the carbs and installed fresh br9es plugs. did i mabey screw up something when i had the carbs apart? or am i missing something simple? the sled ran just fine before my accident so i dont think its anything too major. im not a mechanical wizzard when it comes to snowmobiles so any advice would be greatly appreciated as from what i can tell you guys seem to know your sleds thx doug

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
pull the carbs and clean them out completley. if it sat for a few year more then liklely needles,seats, tarnish and gummed up jets drain out all old fuel and put in new gas as it does turn bad after time. after all that if theres still probs it might be something more serious...

bobby

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx bobby ive drained and changed the fuel. taken the carbs apart and soaked them for three days blew them off with compressed air and reassembled them . mabey i missed something i,ll do it again and see what happens

·
Registered
331 Posts
hey partman, I agree with Bobinwi, it sounds like a plugged jet to me, there are jets in the carburetors that are for IDLE, and sometimes one for mid-range and then one for top-end (Pilot jet, and Main jet I think, some just have two) the holes in the jets that let fuel in, are really tiny and could be plugged even though you soaked them and blew air through them...it sounds to me like the idle jet is clear but the others are plugged, they kick in when the carbs need more fuel....also check to make sure that if it sat that long that the oil injectors are clean and flowing oil as well, (unless you premix gas/oil) cause you could burn up the motor bu not having sufficient lubrication.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Describe the exhaust... Is it clear, or dark blue, etc? It does sound like a major lean-bog... I would agree with the others on a plugged main jet.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hey Partman, here is an excellent expolded view of your carbs and what SHOULD be in them and where....
http://www.brownsleisureworld.com/Parts/SNOWMOBILE/1989/1989WILDCAT650(0650-064-1989)/CARBURETOR.htm

you will have to cut the whole address and place it into your browser, for some reason, the whole addy doesn't show up as the clickable link...or, here is a pic;
/snofan/../images/users/vtsheener/carbs.gif
number 29 and 33 are the MAIN and pilot jets respectively

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just something to think about; is the throttle override acting up.Bypass it and check for change. the howto for that sled is in the owners manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the input guys! sounds like you guys have it all figured out! the view on the carbs really helps out . at least now i know what to look for. i,ll take them apart again tommorow and really inspect those jets closely and i,ll let you guys know how i made out! my fingers are crossed. thanks again for taking the time doug

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Another thing to check is to be sure that each throttle cable is correctly attached to the slides. The first time I cleande the carbs on my XLT, I didn't connect one of the throttle cabels to the slide the right way and it came undone. So the sled would idle fine, but would only get up to 50 mph. It was a three cylinder, so if you're is only a twin, and only one of the carbs was opening you probably wouldn't be able to get much off idle.

Your situation sounds similar to mine. Sometimes it is just something simple. So I'd check that first. If its not that, then go on to check what the other guys are saying about a clogged jet, and TORS (if it has that).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts