Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, was over at a friends the other day and saw he had this like neon purple bottle of Klotz oil. He said this stuff is pretty awesome and he hasnt had a problem with it. Just wanted to see how many of you guys use it or have used it. Wanted to get some real voices of experience and not just a friend blowing smoke up my a$$. He also said something like it smells really good, is that true or just a bunch of bs? Photo Feb 06, 2 54 17 PM.jpg

·
Registered
702 Posts
Lots of people use that. Its basically the top choice for non OEM oil, that and Amsoil. If you like the castor bean smell its all good.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I used it for a few years. Good stuff. clean valves. Quit using it cause it was over $30(klotzlubemn) a gallon shipped and locally over $45 a gallon. I am using Mystik JT-4 which is rated just as good as Klotz. WOrks just as well and can be bought locally for $17--$21 a gallon.

·
Super Moderator
11,649 Posts
I've been using it for years; seems to be good. My only complaint is price, as mentioned above.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I would gladly pay for klotz then get amsoil for free.

Reactions: xcr440

·
Registered
827 Posts
I wouldn't use synthetic in my sled if it was free. Or any other vehicle that gets stored for that matter.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I have no issue using a synthetic in anything. I fogg the crap out of them and also run oil pump wide open when running them out of fuel.

Reactions: CanadianXCR
1,792 Posts
I have no issue using a synthetic in anything. I fogg the crap out of them and also run oil pump wide open when running them out of fuel.
Me either. I've got almost 250,000 miles on my car using it it's whole life. Driven hard it's whole life. Doesn't burn any more oil than any new car (read, extremely minimal like all cars). Engine never been apart. Sits outside in 0 degree temps all winter long and starts up in that temperature. No sludge. Purrs like a kitten. My prior car I used it for all 140,000 miles until non-engine reasons prompted me to buy my current car.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Synthetic is fine in an everyday vehicle. I use it in mine. My post said engines that get stored, synthetic does not protect against rust over time. It's been proven.

My sleds, boat and classic vehicles that get stored do not get synthetic oil, and never will.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Thats why i used a mineral based fogging oil. Soak it down and also pour a few oz's mineral oil down the plug holes.

Finding a non syn oil isnt as easy as it used to be. Maybe in some parts of the country but not around here. Most "full" synthetic oils arnt as labeled either. Alot of the blends are low % of syn oils also. Just enough to allow the use of the "blended" title.

Id love to have a local source on mineral based "legend" oil.
Of all the racers I know around here, they use mystik. They pull there sleds down every summer. no rust has been found and they dont fogg their engines.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Synthetic is fine in an everyday vehicle. I use it in mine. My post said engines that get stored, synthetic does not protect against rust over time. It's been proven.

My sleds, boat and classic vehicles that get stored do not get synthetic oil, and never will.
Proven by who? I think there are plenty of people out in the world that use full synthetic oils that don't have rust issues over long storage periods. I think its a non-issues and unsupported claim which is common when people start talking about synthetic oils.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
A tad off topic........ but i had the rear diff cover on my truck rust out from the inside. Syn gear oil with a friction modifier....... Now why would it rust from the inside???? Had to replace cover and lots of rust on cover. Out was very prestine. Not a scratch in the paint.

I truly beleive that for long term storage that syn oil by itself isnt the way to go. There are some rust inhibitors as stated by manufactors but whos to know how much is trulty in there. Thats why all manufactors claim to fogg your engines.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I fog my engines as well, it certainly protects the cylinder bores, but does it completely coat the crank bearings?

My outboard is a 4 stroke, no matter how you fog it, the crankshaft doesn't get any of the fogging oil at all. I realize that on a 2 stroke engine, if you ingest the fogging oil, it will get to the crank. But, do you fog every time the sled sits idle? Mine may sit for 2 or 3 weeks at a time during the winter, depending on weather etc. The rust is already starting to form. The only way to prevent this is by using a conventional oil.

·
Registered
827 Posts

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I have actually pulled reeds and exhaust to check crank for rust. I was bored and we had no snow. Crank and bearings were always wet with oil. Not 1 speck of rust could be seen. I beleive fim strength have alot to do with a oils ability to reduce rust.

At the end of the day, use what oil you beleive is best for you and your machine.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Proven by who? I think there are plenty of people out in the world that use full synthetic oils that don't have rust issues over long storage periods. I think its a non-issues and unsupported claim which is common when people start talking about synthetic oils.
^Thank you. Show me the "proof". Been using synthetics (mostly Amsoil) for over 20 years and never and issue. Gotta love all the "experts" with these oil threads. Back on topic, Klotz is a popular synthetic oil with a pretty good reputation. It can be expensive as many have mentioned. I have used it with good results. A friend with a 96 V-max 600 has over 20,000km on his original motor strictly using Klotz with his pump dialed back to around 70:1.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Where's the PROOF? I've read tons of Indy Dan's posts, no doubt he is very experienced and knowledgeable and I do agree with 95% of his information he provides. Here's the problem with every goddamn oil related post. Nobody every publishes real proof or evidence of a sound controlled test or experiment to validate their opinion based "claims". The fact is most 2 stroke oils rated for snowmobile use will work perfectly fine for 99% of snowmobiliers, simple as that really.

Here's a bit more to twist everyone's heads around, right from Indy Dan. URGENT !! INJECTOR OIL UPDATE - SnoWest Snowmobile Forum

·
Registered
827 Posts
Where's the PROOF? I've read tons of Indy Dan's posts, no doubt he is very experienced and knowledgeable and I do agree with 95% of his information he provides. Here's the problem with every goddamn oil related post. Nobody every publishes real proof or evidence of a sound controlled test or experiment to validate their opinion based "claims". The fact is most 2 stroke oils rated for snowmobile use will work perfectly fine for 99% of snowmobiliers, simple as that really.

Here's a bit more to twist everyone's heads around, right from Indy Dan. URGENT !! INJECTOR OIL UPDATE - SnoWest Snowmobile Forum
I am aware that Dan is recommending synthetic in the CFI engines, for a completely different reason!

If you want proof, then do an experiment. Take two pieces of clean bare steel, coat one with conventional and one with synthetic. Put them in a relatively moist area and come back in a month or so, then you too will be a believer.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Not even a reasonable comparison Ultra Junkie. IMO to make an educated assessment you must use the components we are talking about here and do a "test" under controlled conditions. A more reasonable example would be this: Take two identical or at least similar sleds, use synthetic with one and dino with the other. Store them in the exact same controlled setting and come back after the summer.....Just a basic example here that could very well be elaborated on, but I think it gets my point across. Taking two random pieces of steel (what grade? are they comparable to the metals inside a sled engine?) and leaving them in a moist environment isn't gonna prove shit. Anyways, not trying to bicker with you brother, just getting a point across that so many web users are so quick to judge without any hard evidence, that's all. Speculation isn't enough for some folks. Fog the piss out of it and you're golden anyways!:cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts