Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after going down the lake at 125mph i started hearing a little knocking noise coming from the base. I first thaught it was either a bearing on the crankshaft or a rist pin. I didn't split the base yet but i could see that the rist pins were fine and the crank seems fine. But when i took the wather pump blad off ,,,,,i then noticed little pieces of metal (not much)(probably bearings on the wather pump shaft) coming out were the bearings for the water pump blade is at. My question ,, is has this ever happened to anyone ,,2nd , could it have possible damaged my crankshaft ( after looking through the base they seem fine , but i havn't split the base to really look), 3rd can the ONLY the wather pump shaft be changed and 4th , what kind of cost am i looking at ?????
thanks a millions.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya sorry , guess i should of mentioned that , heheh i have a 97 Thundercat 900
I finaly opened the base yesterday and found that the countershaft had a broken tooth and it got into one of the bearings on the crankshaft,,,,,,,,so either a new base or most likely a new engine

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i've taken the base apart to realize that a couple bearings had let go and the crank could be salvaged but the cost of that is probably around 500$. I can get a 2001 thundercat 1000cc engine with clutch and everything for 1200$. Am i better to just get mine fixed , of for that price ,, just get the new engine and forget trying to get the crankshaft redone????????
what would be the difference in cost?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Wow!!!where can you get a T-Cat motor so cheap?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i can get that engine through a buddy of mine that owns a shop,,,,,,it's a wreck though , and i havn't seen the engine yet but i'm going tonight ,, it's suposed to be there for when i get home,,, just the fact that the cluth and carbs come with it makes it a hell of a deal,, i'm hoping 1000$ cash will convince him.
Some other people in this forum think it would be best to get the crankshaft fixed,, cause i don't know the history of that other engine,,,,i'm thinking ,,the hell with that ,, get the BIGGER STRONGER AND FASTER engine (with less milage) and have a bunch of left over parts just in case

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the hell with it ,, i'm getting the new engine ,we all know HP is more addictive then any crack cocaine out there, now all i need to know is if it'll fit in my 97 t-cat without any modifications?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya i sure did ,, and did again yesterday with the new 1000cc ,, got it up to 122mph,, but there was more snow this time on the lake ,, so there was more resistence

1 - 9 of 9 Posts